Tips for growing Wave Petunias – Wave Petunias vs Supertunias
Are you a garden enthusiast? If your garden is filled with all kinds of vegetation and flowers, then you might be seeking more options to grow in your garden. So, why not petunias? They add great importance to your garden. You should try the new varieties of petunias such as Supertunias and Wave petunias. Growing these varieties like other types of basil in your garden will be a great choice. In this article, we will provide a few tips for growing Wave Petunias. Do you know when these varieties come on the market for adding elegance to any yard? Let me tell you.
- The wave of petunias came in the year 1995 and 2006, the Supertunia. Almost both of them are the same but vary from each other in some aspects.
- These varieties tend to produce beautiful, charming, and bright flowers that make the garden more lively.
- Now, which variety you want to grow in your yard depends on you. But wave petunias are considered to be more long-lasting as compared to Supertunia.
- Petunias also ask for minimal care and maintenance, then it is easy for you to grow them.
So, let’s begin to know about the growing tips for wave petunias and some variations between wave petunias and Supertunias.
Tips for growing wave petunias
Folks, if you are here to know about the tips for the propagation of wave petunias, then you are at the right place. Let’s know the suggestions for the wave petunias so that they can grow bright and give the desired results as below:
You are required to give proper water facilities to your wave petunias in the garden if you want to grow them stronger.
You have to maintain the balance in a way that they don’t remain dry for long or soggy too for long. As this will affect its roots and it will weaken them. So, water the plants properly so that they retain moisture.
“The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit.”– By Nelson Henderson
As we know petunias originated from South America, and they are used to receive the full sun. they do not grow well if you place them in partial shade.
If you want more and more bright flowers then you are required to provide them with full sunlight facilities or 8 hours of daily sunlight.
For a long-lasting plant, you are required to give supplements to all the plants. So, in the case of wave petunias, you need to give them nutrients so that they can blossom for a long time. You should give them fertilizers in small intervals for a week.
Do not over-fertilize them as they will get destroyed. You might be thinking which fertilizer should I use? It can be a liquid fertilizer or organic compost. Use them and nourish your garden.
What about trimming the wave petunias? If you trim your wave petunias in the garden then there are more chances that the plant will last for long.
You just need to trim off its tips as a healthy petunia will give you pretty blooms just like peace lilies.
|Petunia x hybrida
|5 to 10 inches tall, with 2 to 4 feet spread distance
Wave Petunias vs Supertunias
Let’s know about the points of differences between the wave petunias and Supertunias in detail by having a glance below:
Though both varieties of petunias bloom all long in the summertime with the proper maintenance and care. Wave petunias develop blooms properly but Supertunias bloom harshly as it hides their vegetation.
2. Flowering size
The size of the flowers will depend on the variety of the species you are growing.
Some varieties of Wave petunias have larger blooms and the same smaller blossoms all long in the summer whereas Supertunias can grow larger blooms in comparison with wave petunias.
Supertunias and wave petunias, both require proper fertilization so that they can grow at their best.
4. Ways of growing
Supertunias will grow shorter or spread lighter than the wave petunias as wave petunias grow aggressively that they need to be trimmed off properly otherwise your garden will become messy.
How to Grow Wave Petunia from Seed?
Growing wave petunia is a great decision just like crape myrtle. You can grow them from seeds like you grow pitcher plant, cuttings, and other methods but we will be discussing the process of growing wave petunias from seed:
Step 1- Firstly, you are required to buy the wave petunia seeds, seedling tray, and a soilless mixture too from the market.
Step 2- Spread over the petunia seeds in the potting mix on the tray and fix them with the help of any tray.
Step 3- You have to cover the tray with plastic.
Step 4- This will take about a week to germinate.
Step 5- You can give them appropriate water and then transplant the seedlings after a week to your desired pot or basket. Also, follow the tips that are mentioned above for its propagation.
Benefits of Wave Petunias:
The following are some benefits of planting wave petunias as your houseplant:
- The value of the wave petunias makes them easy to plant in your house.
- The popularity of plants is increasing day by day.
- They are easy to plant and come under the low-maintenance category.
- Wave petunias are affordable plants that you can plant in your gardens, beds, and containers.
- The plants are used to spread over 3 to 4 feet.
- They can also be grown in a hanging basket.
- The wave petunias do grow in a large number of varieties located in Lancaster County
Benefits of Supertunias:
- The supertunias plants do grow with beautiful flowers that you can place as display.
- Growing the plants will make hundreds of beautiful flowers in your garden.
- For planting supertunias you need to make sure there is much space for growing them and make them get at least 6 hours of sunlight.
- You can beautifully use them in hanging baskets and make a beautiful hanging arrangement.
Which is the best growth between Wave Petunias and Supertunias?
It is really hard to decide which is best Wave petunias and Supertunias. They do grow best in part to full sun, are easy to care and bloom in a variety of colors that will make your beds, container or pot look amazing. I can say that anything you decide to grow as your houseplants will add beauty to your home only when you properly care take of the plants.
Binding up the context
Last but not the least, wave petunias can be a great addition to your garden. They can be grown easily and will keep your garden lively if you maintain them properly. Trim them from time to time. The rest of the tips for their growth have been mentioned in the above article. Read them carefully and grow them in your yard.
1. What is the difference between a super petunia and a wave petunia?
The growing habits of both varieties are different. Wave petunias grow more largely in comparison with Supertunias.
2. Which wave petunia is best?
If you are going for the wave petunia, then you should choose the tidal wave as it is one of the largest varieties in the family of wave petunia. You can even grow them in large containers.
3. How do you keep Wave petunias blooming all summer?
For keeping your wave petunias blooming all summer, you are required to put fertilizer in the water after a week so that it spreads and blooms all along in the summertime. But do not over-fertilize them as it will harm them.