Cayenne Peppers – All about them – (How hot Cayenne Peppers are?)
Cayenne peppers add spice to your taste and even to your life. Cayenne peppers are one of the most common and well-known pepper plants that are grown by every grower in his garden. You can make diverse recipes from cayenne peppers.
- Cayenne peppers can be used in tea, toasts, curries, stews, etc. These peppers can add magic to your life.
- They come from a family of hot chili peppers.
- It is one of Gardner’s favorite peppers. They are also known as chili peppers or hot peppers as they give spicy flavor to various dishes and you need to follow some extra tips to grow hotter pepper in hot.
- People also call them cow horn peppers. They belong to the nightshade family that includes other members too.
- They are serrano peppers, bell peppers, poblano peppers, and others.
- Peppers are not only available in red color but they have other color varieties too.
Do you know everything regarding them? If not, then stay connected with this guide as you will see the amazing types of other cayenne peppers. For that, you should know about those varieties too. You can use the cayenne pepper as any dry material in some dishes and even use it further. Some of the grinders grow them so that they get the best from them. They can be used in the form of dry peppers, in dishes, and others.
Cayenne pepper fast facts
|Scoville heat units (SHU)
|30,000 – 50,000
|Median heat (SHU)
|Jalapeño reference point
|4 to 20 times hotter
|Approximately 3 to 5 inches long, curved
What is a Cayenne Pepper?
They are the hot chili peppers that give spicy flavors to the dishes. They are even 2 to 5 inches tall. It belongs to the nightshade family of plants. It also relates to the jalapenos and other peppers. Cayenne peppers are green in color at the time you grow them but they become red and bright when they become mature. You can use cayenne peppers for making cayenne pepper Sauce & More.
It is even sold on the market in the form of powder. Cayenne pepper can be used in various dishes and it serves amazingly and is savory. If you want to buy them, they are available online and even in your market.
How Hot Are Cayenne Peppers?
As you know cayenne peppers is also known as hot pepper which indicates that it is hot and spicy. But do you know how hot they are? If yes, then it is great. But if not, you should know about its heat concentration before using it.
Peppers get scaled on the scale which is known as the Scoville Rating Scale which indicates the level of heat in peppers. You might be wondering who invented this. Guys, there was a man named Wilbur Scoville, who created this measuring tool for knowing the heat level of the peppers.
This scale tells us that the heat level of the cayenne peppers comes under 30,000 to 50,000 SHU. SHU stands for the Scoville heat units.
They are hotter than the other paper varieties like bell peppers which have 0 SHU and jalapenos about 5,000 SHU. So, cayenne peppers are relatively hotter than them.
What are the types of cayenne pepper?
As mentioned there are various types of cayenne peppers. Let us know about them in detail so that you can add spiciness to your life. They are:
1. Dragon Cayenne peppers
These are one of the types of cayenne peppers that can take harvesting days of about 75. They can grow up to 7-10 inches long. The size of the pepper, which is spicy, is 1-2 inches. The heat of these peppers is 30,000 – 50,000 Scoville units. The ones who love spicier can go for that.
2. Golden cayenne pepper
The other type of cayenne peppers is also spicy as it has a heat level of 30,000-50,000 Scoville units, they also get harvested after 75 days. They give you the maximum yield. They come in yellow color as different from the red varieties. It is considered to be a hot cultivator.
3. Carolina Cayenne Peppers
They are just like the cayenne peppers that are even hotter than that. They are even wide and have wrinkled skin. They tend to attain a deep red color. People make sauces, and dishes from them.
4. Purple cayenne peppers
These are the varieties that are considered to be cool as they change from a green color to people not red. They are also hot peppers just like the cayenne.
They tend to have a sweet flavor within and can give you the level of heat of about 30,000 – 50,000 Scoville units. The size of the purple cayenne peppers is 3 to 5 inches.
They can be added to any dish if you want a spicy flavor with some sweetness within.
What are the benefits of growing cayenne pepper?
There are advantages and drawbacks to everything in this world. So why not the pepper plant? Of course, there are various benefits of pepper that you need to be aware of. Below are its benefits:
- Cayenne peppers has various nutrients like fats, proteins, vitamin C, etc.
- It will improve your overall health if consumed daily.
- Without adding salt to your dishes, it will give a delicious taste.
- It can be used in powdered form, dried form, raw, cooked, etc.
- It can help in lowering the level of blood pressure.
- It will help in the good functioning of the immune system.
Cayenne Pepper Nutrition:
The following is the nutrition that is contained in 5 grams of Cayenne pepper
|Serve size 5 grams
|44% of the RDI
|8% of the RDI
|7% of the RDI
|6% of the RDI
|5% of the RDI
|5% of the RDI
|3% of the RDI
|3% of the RDI
What does this chili look like?
Most people are used to seeing the chili in Flake or powdered form but in the case of the cayenne peppers, they do have a typical Bell or poblano pepper shape. They look similar to Thai peppers in shape they are thin, long in size from 3 to 5 inches, and curved. The color of Cayenne pepper does change from green to red with the growing stages.
Where did it originate?
The Cayenne pepper originated from South America and the name is given to the peppers from a city in French Guiana such as the city of Cayenne. There were various names given to the peppers such as Guinea spice, bird pepper, and cow-horn pepper. The peppers when converted into powder form are called Red peppers
Cooking with cayenne pepper:
Basically, the cayenne peppers are being used by professional chefs for cooking food and have become a go-to Spice on Spice rack. You can add the peppers to any dish from soups and pizza to meat and baked desserts. they are even used as red pepper flakes that you find at pizzerias that add a kick to the hot peppers. They are becoming more popular day by day with the chili powder. In Asian cuisine people do use the cayenne pepper more often. They are also used for making medium Spice Salsa and hot sauces.
More tips for cooking with cayenne:
The following are some tips for using Cayenne pepper for cooking:
- You need to use a dry hand if you are dealing with Cayenne people.
- Don’t use heavy hands as they are available in many Spice rack sets which are not so spicy but if you use heavy hands you can ruin a dish especially if you are using powder which does affect much more than red pepper flakes.
- In case you want a less intense taste then you can choose flakes rather than using chili powder.
- The Cayenne powder is used to get mixed into a fish while pepper flakes sit at the top of the food.
- In the case of red pepper, you can remove the pepper and see it from the dishes but powder is impossible to remove.
- You need to use gloves to handle Cayenne pepper while cutting the pepper but not necessary to wear them when they are uncut.
- The Cayenne pepper is basically a potent medium-heat that leads to burning if you touch the chilis membrane directly and rub it on your skin or eyes.
- You need to be extra careful specifically in case your eyes and need to handle the powder safely.
Popular cayenne pepper recipes from PepperScale:
The following are some recipes that you can make from cayenne pepper:
Sweet and Spicy Bacon:
Using cayenne pepper with sweet and spicy bacon is the most simple and favorite way and for that, you need to pair it with brown sugar to give bacon an amazing taste.
Cayenne-Spiced Pumpkin Pie:
You can also use the cayenne pepper with pumpkin pie to make them as spicy as the summer months.
Fiery Apple Chips:
The other popular way to use cayenne pepper is with fiery apple chips with cinnamon to give a fiery sweet taste.
Spicy Candied Pecans:
You can use the cayenne pepper with Powder sugar and salt pair them and you can make a pre-dinner snack with it.
Cayenne Pepper Tea with Ginger:
You can use cayenne pepper tea with ginger to follow a healthy life and drink it as a tea ingredient.
How do you store cayenne pepper?
- You need to store cayenne pepper to use them for the long term and I will suggest you to store them in the refrigerator.
- For that you need to use a plastic bag after that you can place them in a vegetable drawer.
- You need to maintain the storage temperature from 40–45°F.
- Don’t wash your peppers before storing them in your refrigerator.
- You need to put them in the refrigerator in dry conditions only as having water in them will increase the rot condition.
- Make sure to store pepper at the proper temperature so that you keep it for upto 2-3 weeks.
- The peppers that have thicker walls than the thin-walled peppers will not last for the long term.
- The duration of peppers to stay long does depends on the purchasing time and thickness of the peppers.
In this guide, you come to know about the Cayenne peppers that add spice to your taste and even to your life. Cayenne peppers are one of the most common and well-known pepper plants that are grown by every grower in his garden and if you want to substitute the cayenne pepper you can use red pepper flake. It is one of Gardner’s favorite peppers. They are also known as chili peppers or hot peppers as they give spicy flavor to various dishes. Read the full article to know more about cayenne peppers.
1. Name some hottest cayenne peppers.
Some of the hottest cayenne peppers are sweet cayenne peppers, dragon cayenne peppers, golden cayenne peppers, red ember peppers, and others.
2. How much red pepper flakes equals cayenne pepper?
You can put ½ tablespoon of cayenne pepper powder as per ¾ tablespoon of red pepper flakes.