Watering Christmas Cactus: How to Water a Christmas Cactus
Hey Folks!! Welcome back!!
Are you looking to decorate your home with a festival vibe then why not try Christmas plants for your garden? Yes, you heard it right. Christmas cactus is one of the best choices that will cherish you with its blooms, especially at the time of Christmas or even Easter if you maintain the plant properly.
As the term maintenance Comes, the first thing to keep in mind is Watering the plant. You should know about Watering Christmas cactus properly. This Winter plant is not difficult to maintain as all you need is to feed your plant with water properly.
It tends to produce bright colored flowers in the shades of purple red or even pink which makes this plant a great house plant especially at the time of Christmas when it blooms. So without wasting time let’s get started to know how to water a Christmas cactus.
How often to water a Christmas Cactus?
Water is needed by every plant so that it thrives well and makes the leaves and flowers fuller. So, it is suggested for watering Christmas cactus or Schlumbergera as:
- Water the plant after the span of every 1 to 2 weeks.
- You have to let the soil dry out about half an inch.
- You have to check the soil moisture by inserting a finger inside, and if it feels dry, then you have to water the plant.
- Let the soil dry between waterings.
- You have to water them more if it is receiving a good amount of bright sunlight.
- But make sure to water less when you feed them with low sunlight.
When the plant is actively growing, it requires a good humidity level, so you can make use of a humidifier to increase the humidity. Also, making use of a pebble tray filled with water will suit them best.
Try to use water that is filtered as tap water has calcium content in it which is not good for plant growth. Soil needs to feel moist most of the time so that it grows well.
Last but not least, you have to keep watering Christmas Cactus so that they do not remain without water for much time. Though they are drought tolerant, do not leave them without water for more than two weeks at least.
Tips for watering Christmas Cactus
- Do not water the plant unless it becomes dry by about half an inch.
- Overwtaring is not good for the plant as it tends to cause black spots on the leaves.
- Keep the soil moist, by watering only when the soil is dry not watered.
- At the time of watering the plant, you have to water it fully unless the water comes out front of the drainage holes.
- Misting of leaves sometimes is also recommended.
How to Water a Christmas Cactus?
Watering Christmas cactus is not a difficult task to do but you have to keep in mind neither to provide more water to the plant nor less water to the plant.
Remember that this plant is a tropical one, not a desert one. Follow the directions for watering Christmas Cactus:
Change the Watering routine as per the season
- Watering Christmas Cactus depends on the season when they are growing. So you have to follow it and change your watering schedule When the season changes.
- During the time of dry season, you have to provide it with water after every 2 to 3 days.
- In the time of fall and winter, you have to give less water to the plants so that it causes no effects on the flowers.
- When the environment is humid or cool, then you have to water one time a week.
Do not water at the arrival of October
- You should be happy that when the month of October comes the water requirements of the plant become less so you have to stop watering Christmas Cactus at that time and you can resume giving it water from November.
- If you live in an area with dry conditions, then you can make use of a pebble tray to increase humidity in the plants to keep them moist.
- A proper watering routine will let your plant begin to flower at the time of Christmas.
- When the plant blooms after that period, you have to stop watering it for about six weeks so that the plant rests.
Observe flower buds drop
- You have to observe the dropping of the buds when the plant develops the flower buds. It is one of the irritating things that happen in the plant.
- It happens due to the excess supply of water to the plants.
- So, you have to start giving less water to the plant so that it does not get destroyed.
- Also, provide your plant with some fertilizer for its growth.
Ways for Watering Christmas Cactus
Below are the ways that will help you know the ways for watering Christmas cactus more effectively and efficiently:
Method 1: Watering over the soil
- You have to water the base of the soil by gently pouring the water over the soil with the help of any watering can or other equipment.
- You have to water the plant till the water comes out from its draining holes.
- Also, you have to remove the excess water from the tray under the plant, if any. It will not allow the water to sit in the plant.
Method 2: Bottom Watering
- Another method for watering Christmas cactus is bottom watering. In this, you have to first fill a tray with water and allow the contact of soil and water with each other.
- Then, you have to wait for about 8-10 minutes so that it absorbs in the water.
- Now, when the soil is absorbed in the water, then remove the excess water from it.
- If the soil is still dry, then you have to add more water to it, then remove the excess from it by waiting for about 15-20 minutes.
How to Care for a Christmas Cactus?
Caring for your Christmas cactus is not difficult but it becomes tricky when you do not feed your plant with proper nutrients.
This is because less or more can harm the plant’s growth. So let’s have a look at the below tips to know how to care for a Christmas cactus:
- You have to keep your plant in the east-facing window so that it can receive medium sunlight and also full sun sometimes.
- You have to maintain the ideal temperature for your plant which is about 65°.
- To keep your soil moist, you have to keep watching the plant or mist it with water.
- Provide your plant with organic soil that is rich in humus.
- You have to repot the plant every year after it flowers.
- Last, but not least applying a good amount of fertiliser which is rich in potassium will be a great energy for your plants to grow. Fertilize them after every two weeks.
Wrapping up the context
In this guide, you come to know that the Christmas cactus is one of the best choices and will cherish you with its blooms, especially at the time of Christmas or even Easter if you maintain the plant properly. As the term maintenance Comes, the first thing to keep in mind is Watering the plant.
You should know about Watering Christmas cactus properly. This Winter plant is not difficult to maintain as all you need is to feed your plant with water properly. Read the whole guide to understand the process of watering Christmas cactus.
Thanks for reading! Happy gardening!