How to Grow & Care for Hoya kerrii ‘Sweetheart Plant’ (2024)
I hope you all are doing significant in your gardening career. Today I am here with another important plant that should be definitely in your collection of plants. You might have heard about Hoya kerrii which is also known as the sweetheart plant.
Sounds amazing right? Why not gift your valentine with this awesome gift? It will be a great gesture to do. Hoya Kerrii plants tend to produce heart-shaped and green-colored leaves and make you happy with their fantabulous flowers.
So, without wasting time, let’s proceed to know about the process of growing and caring for Hoya kerrii.
|Hoya kerrii, Sweetheart hoya, Hoya hearts, Lucky heart hoya, Valentine’s hoya
|Bright indirect sunlight
|Water if the top 2 inches of soil are dry
|summertime and springtime
|13 feet long
Types of Hoya Kerrii are:
- Hoya kerrii heart
- Hoya kerrii ‘Splash’
- Hoya kerrii’ Reverse Variegata’
- Hoya kerrii’ Albomarginata’
- Hoya kerrii’ Fuzzy Leaves’
Growing Hoya kerrii ‘Sweetheart Plant’
It is easy to grow Hoya Kerrii with the help of stem cuttings by using sphagnum moss. So, without wasting time, let’s throw light on its steps:
Step 1- At first, you have to choose the stem cuttings(4-5 inches long) from the mother plant with the help of sharp and sterilized scissors.
Step 2- Remove its leaves from the bottom leaving the top leaves likewise.
Step 3- As we are using sphagnum moss, we need to keep the water so that it soal the water for about ten minutes.
Step 4- Excess water from the soil needs to be removed.
Step 5- Take a pot and fill the sphagnum moss in it.
Step 6- Then you have to keep the cutting in it gently by being covered with moss except for leaves.
Step 7– Now, make sure to keep your container in a place where they can nourish them with bright, indirect sunlight.
Step 8- Keep the moss moist and you will observe the sprouts(about 1-2 inches long). Then you have to take a pot and fill potting mix to it.
Step 9- Put the rooted cuttings in the pot. After a few weeks, you have to keep the potted cuttings in their old place.
Step 10- Growth will be more if you fulfill their needs by providing efficient sunlight, water, etc.
Caring for Hoya kerrii ‘Sweetheart Plant’
Growing a plant is easy but maintaining it is somehow a difficult one. But not anymore as we are here for you.
Hoya kerrii is a tropical plant that tends to grow under the tree’s canopy and especially in humid and moist environments.
Let’s see some of the caring tips of hoya kerrii:
- Humidity and Temperature
Let’s know about them in detail:
- These plants tend to grow in bright sunlight between the range of 10,000-20,000 lux.
- When you plant it indoors, then provide it with sunlight in the east-facing window and if not possible, then you can make use of LED which will help in plant growth.
- They can bear full sunlight in a medium-shady environment.
- These plants are east-facing window plants that will grow best indoors.
- As Hoya kerrii leaves are succulent types, they tend to store water in their leaves which makes them survive for a long without water.
- So, when it comes to watering, they are not that much demanding.
- Insert your finger into the soil about half an inch and if it feels dry, then you have to water the plants. It will let you know about the moisture of the soil.
- Also, never let the water sit on the plant tray as it can hurt the growth of the plant.
Temperature and humidity needs
- These plants will grow suitable if you provide them temperature range between 65-80ºF.
- Normal room temperature will be good for them if you planted them indoors, also moving them outdoors in the yard will feed them with natural weather.
- Whenever there is a cool place outside, never keep your plant outside as cold drafts tend to spoil its beautiful foliage.
- What about is humidity needs? Hoya kerrii like to be moist spots, so the best level of humidity for them lies between 60 to 85%.
- Keep misting off your plants with water so that it remains moist, especially at the time of winter.
- Hoya kerrii likes to be grown in well-drained soil as it increases the plant’s lifespan.
- Plants need nutrients from anywhere so that they can grow. Likewise, these plants need organic compost to be mixed in the soil.
- The pH level for hoys kerrii will be 6-7 which is slightly acidic.
- As you know excess of everything is bad, so do not feed your plants with much fertilizer as it can harm the growth of the plant’.
- A liquid-balanced fertilizer that has a ratio of 20-20-20 will suit them best.
- For healthy and more growth of the plant, you have to feed it with fertilizer one time a moment.
Potting & Repotting
- Repotting is the process of changing the plant’s position from one pot to another by transferring it.
- Repotting of hoya kerrii will be good after every 1-2 years when the plant is not comfortable in its pot and it can be checked by yellow-colored droopy leaves.
- They do not like too spacious a place, so they will be good in the old pot too.
- But when the plant grows more vigorously and comes out of the pot, then Repot it.
- Making use of fresh soil would be amazing.
- Choosing pots with good drainage holes will suit them as it will let the plant be moist.
- Last but not least, another requirement of your Hoya kerrii is to be pruned off so that new growth emerges and plants look fuller.
- You have to trim off its vines for more growth and maintain its shape.
- Flowers stalks need not be pruned because they will blossom next year too.
- All you need to do is to remove all the dead and affected leaves by either pinching them off or trimming them with sterilized scissors.
Common problems of Hoya Kerrii ‘Sweetheart Plant’
There are various problems faced by Hoya kerrii but fewer than the other plants so take a chill pill. Let’s know about some of its problems and also the preventions to cure them. They are as follows:
One of the issues with all the plants is the pest attack. But why? Why do pests love to move around the plants and eat them?
Guys pests tend to suck the liquid of the plant so that they can satisfy their hunger but it is easy to get rid of them:
- Make use of insecticidal soap one time in a month so that the pests go away.
- Also making use of cotton balls soaked with rubbing alcohol would be good.
Another problem that is beyond pests is the growing problems of the plant. It can be the leggy growth of the plant due to various reasons that can be cured.
- You have to prune off the plant so that it moves the affected growth.
- Also, move your plants to a sunny place that is away from the full fun.
Last but not least, another problem of this plant is being diseased by either less supply of water or less supply of sunlight.
- For avoiding root rot, keep a check on the plant and trim off the dead leaves from it.
- Making use of an antifungal spray will be more appropriate.
Wrapping up the context
Folks, I am happy that you read the full guide and finally know the process to grow your Hoya kerrii in your home garden. Still, if there remain any queries or doubts, then you can let me know about it or you can read out the guide again to understand the process. I hope you are doing great in your gardening field. So, see you in the next guide till then safe gardening.
Thanks for reading! Happy gardening!