How to plant, grow and care for Begonias plants?
Hey folks! Welcome back!
I hope you are doing appreciable in your gardening field. Today I am here to introduce you to one of the new things that can do wonders in your garden. Do you know How to plant, grow and care for Begonias plants? Begonias are those dazzling perennials that gardeners love to plant in their yard and even they look good when you hang them in the baskets. So, let’s know about the caring tips that are required for the begonias to grow in an organized way.
If you want to grow a plant like a chocolate soldier plant that can provide you with amazing flowers and good vegetation, then you can go for the begonia plants.
- Begonias are those dazzling perennials that gardeners love to plant in their yards and even they look good when you hang them in the baskets.
- Begonias are stunning flowers that can be grown easily if one is a garden enthusiast.
- They hold various benefits within that is why people love to grow them.
- They can be used as houseplants and summer beds.
- They originated from tropical and subtropical areas.
- Numerous species of begonias can exceed the number by 1500.
- There are various varieties of begonias, they come in different forms, colors, and sizes, and all holes have different features.
Though they hold some old fashion ethics there are valiant varieties too. Do you want to grow them? Are you aware of its process of growing? We will let you know in this article about the process of growing them. So, let’s know about the caring tips that are required for the begonia plants to grow in an organized way.
Let’s begin, with “How to plant, grow and care for Begonias plants?” just like you come to know about Moroccan mound succulents “.
What are Begonias?
Begonias, do you know what are they? Begonias belong to the Begoniaceae family and are perennial that can be grown easily. The begonia plants tend to grow in the sun just like the Hottentot-fig ice plant and even in the shade. They ask for the proper fertilizer, water requirements, and soil for their growth. People used to grow begonia plants in their garden to add an elegant look to the garden.
Few varieties of begonias:
- Wax begonias
- Rex begonias
- Rhizomatous begonias
- Tuberous begonias
- Cane begonias
How do plant, grow, and care for Begonias plants?
Begonias are stunning flowers that can be grown easily if one is a garden enthusiast. They hold various benefits within that is why people love to grow them. They can be used as houseplants and summer beds. Let us know some planting, growing, and caring tips for Begonia plants.
How to Plant Begonias?
Folks, planting begonia plants can be a great choice for your garden. So, let us know how to plant these begonias in the yard with the help of the following points:
- Begonias can be propagated easily if you want to. You are required to put the seeds in well-draining soil.
- You can even propagate them from the leaf cuttings by planting the cuttings in the soil.
- Try to make the soil moist.
- You will need to use potting soil that should be rich in organic matter.
- For their growth, you have to place your begonia plants where they receive partial sun shade.
How to grow the begonias plant?
Do you want to know the process for the propagation of the begonias plants? If yes, then you are at the right place. For that. You need to buy some small begonia plants from the market to start the process. Let’s get started by following the below steps:
Step 1- Firstly, you have to take a stem from the new plant by cutting it.
Step 2- Then, take a glass of water and put the stem in that water.
Step 3- Place the stem at the bottom of the window.
Step 4- You have to fill the glass again with water unless it begins to sprout.
Step 5- When the roots will become mature, then you have to plant those cuttings in well-drained soil.
Step 6- Choose the right fertilizer for your begonias. By caring for them properly, they will grow the plant and you can get your desired results.
For more such plant related-articles, you may also read, Growing Rosemary from cuttings – Tips for propagating Rosemary
How can you Care for the begonia plants?
Caring for begonias is important in the same way you put your efforts into propagating the begonias. So, let’s know how one can care for the begonia plants by looking at the following points:
- Begonias tend to thrive in the full sunlight for their healthy growth.
- so you can plant them in an area where they receive at least 6 hours of sunlight in a day for their growth.
- Whenever you feel that the soil is getting dry, then make sure that it is the right time to water the plants.
- Do not overwater the begonias as they can get weakened by soaking themselves in the water all day long.
- It is obvious that as you have grown your plants, then you will desire to see them for a long time.
- For their long-lasting effect, you need to trim off or cut the dead leaves of the plant to make your plant happy.
- Faded leaves can be removed too for new growth of the leaves in the plant.
- Begonias require well-drained soil so that they can grow at their best.
- So, do not let the soil remain soggy.
Temperature and Humidity needs
- Begonias will grow well if you provide them with warm temperatures and humid locations.
- The ideal temperature range for begonias is 60°F or more than it.
- If you have planted them indoors you can make use of a small humidifier for increasing the humidity in the plant.
- Begonias require fertilizer so that they grow at a faster pace as they are considered heavy feeders.
- After the tenure of two weeks, you have to provide them with fertilizer in the ratio 10-10-10 or 20-20-20.
- Make use of slow-release fertilizer to encourage new growth in the plant.
It is important to repot a plant and the same is the case with begonias. You have to keep in mind the following things while repotting your plant. They are as follows:
- Keep in mind to choose a container that is one in speaker than the previous pot so that the roots of the plant feel comfortable in the new location.
- If the plant a small, then there is no need to choose a big container as it will cause root rot in the plant and other fungal infections.
- Also, potting mix plays a great role in the growth of the plant, so you have to choose an organic potting mix for your plant.
- If the plant is not grown much bigger in the current pot, then there is no need to repot the plant.
- It is suggested to repot a plant when the roots of the plant come out from the drainage holes as it shows that the plant has grown excessively and needs to be repotted.
Common Problems With Begonias
With the benefits of the plant, there come problems too. Are you ready to face those problems? If yes, then you are perfect for growing a plant. Below are the common problems faced by Begonias. They are as follows:
- Attack of pathogens in the soil
- Bacterial and fungal diseases in the plant.
- Attack of pests like leafhoppers, slugs, rabbits, etc.
- You have to choose the right quality of soil for your plant.
- Make use of soap spray for a plant to keep the pests away from it
- Do not overwater your plant which will decrease the chances of root rot.
How to Get Begonias to Bloom?
Are you looking to get begonias to bloom? If yes, then it is great. You should know that begonia will bloom in about six months. If you provide them with partial sunlight and a good amount of temperature.
Providing a plant with fertilizer every two weeks will help it grow more If you growing them in containers, whereas garden beds require fertilizers every 3 to 4 weeks.
Fertilizer helps in providing nutrients to the plant which will help them bloom at a faster pace, but keep in mind not to use strong fertilizers. You have to use slow-release fertilizer to encourage more foliage in the plant rather than pulling the energy of the plant.
You have to pinch the dead and affected flowers from the plant so that the new flowers tend to bloom in the plant and you enjoy its benefits.
Binding up the context
In this article, you come to know about the Begonias which belongs to the Begoniaceae family and is a perennial that can be grown easily. The begonia plants tend to grow in the sun like the Calico Kitten Plant and even in the shade.
They ask for the proper fertilizer, water requirements, and soil for their growth. People used to grow begonias in their gardens to add an elegant look to the garden. I hope this information will help you in growing the pretty begonias in your garden.
Thanks for reading! Happy Gardening!
Where is the best place to plant begonias?
You can plant your begonias in the sun or even in shade, they can do their best there. Begonias can be planted in the hanging baskets which add a great look to the garden.
Do begonias spread out?
Yes, the pretty begonias can spread out by about 6-12 inches.
Are begonias easy to grow?
Yes, begonias can be grown in your garden easily. It even has various varieties so you can choose the appropriate one as per your area and your choice. They can be grown outdoors and even as houseplants.