How to Grow & Care for Hemigraphis Alternata ‘Purple Waffle’ (2023)
Hey folks! Welcome back! Hope you are doing appreciable in your gardening field.
Folks, today I was wondering why I have not grown the purple waffle variety in my home garden. So, with this thought, I want to share its growing and caring guide with all of you.
The purple waffle plant which is scientifically known as Hemigraphis Alternata is one of the indoor plants that can be grown as a potted plant or also you can enjoy its magical beauty in the garden area. It is easy to recognize this plant because of its thick and attractive foliage.
So, let’s get started to know the process of growing and caring for Hemigraphis Alternata ‘Purple Waffle’.
|Purple waffle plant, Red Flame Ivy, Metal Leaf Plant
|Bright indirect sunlight
|Water if the top inch of soil is dry
|Beginning of the growing season
|6 to 9 inches as a houseplant
What Is a Waffle Plant?
The waffle plant is one of the plants that is popularly known as the purple waffle plant. It tends to produce green-colored leaves that are vibrant.
You will see a rich purple color inside the leaves and texture of the Belgian waffle that looks amazing. As it originated from Java, it is also known by its other names as cemetery plant, red ivy, metal leaf plant, and red flame ivy.
How to grow Hemigraphis Alternata ‘Purple Waffle’?
Everyone wants to grow a beautiful plant in their home garden so that it attracts everyone’s attention. So, let’s begin the process of growing the Hemigraphis Alternata in detail:
Step 1- First, you have to choose the cutting from the healthy parent plant.
Step 2- Cut it with the help of sterilized scissors.
Step 3- In a tray, you have to fill the potting mix that has been used in the parent plant and keep the leaf in it.
Step 4- Now, pat down the soil by watering the stem cutting.
Step 5– Use the plastic sheet to cover the tray so that moisture remains within.
Step 6- Then, after 2-3 weeks you will observe roots from the cuttings and after that, you have replanted them in their new home.
Step 7- Take a good container with more drainage holes put it in the potting mix and enjoy the benefits of your plant when it matures.
How to care for Hemigraphis Alternata ‘Purple Waffle’?
Let’s get started to know the best caring tips for Hemigraphis Alternata ‘Purple Waffle’ as feeding them with a good amount of nutrients will fulfill your expectations. Below are the tips:
- Humidity and Temperature
- Potting and Repotting
Let’s know about them in detail:
- Hemigraphis Alternata grows in the bright indirect sunlight that lies between 10,000 to 20,000 lux.
- This plant can be easily grown if you keep it away from the full sun as it will harm the plant’s growth.
- Also, when you plant them indoors, you can place them near the east-facing window so that they can receive a good amount of sunlight.
- Do not expose them to the west-facing window as it is not good for the plant so keep your plant away from its exposure.
- Water requirements of Hemigraphis Alternata plants are quite easy as they need water when the soil gets dry.
- You can check the moisture of the soil by inserting a finger inside the soil about half an inch and if it’s dry, then you have to water the plant.
- You can set up a watering system so that you come to know when the plant needs water.
- All you have to do is to keep a container filled with water which should be bigger than your pot and put a cotton cord to it and bury it in the soil.
- It will let you know about the moisture of the soil.
Humidity and Temperature needs
- Hemigraphis Alternata will thrive well if you provide your plant with about 85°F (30°C) of temperature.
- It will grow amazingly if you keep the temperature between 55° to 80°F (13 to 27°C) as it is the ideal temperature range for this plant.
- Make sure that the plant’s temperature does not go below 50°F (10°C) as it can not bear it.
- These plants like to remain humid so feed your plant with a good amount of humidity that should be below 80%.
- The ideal range of humidity for these plants is between 50 to 70%.
- Also, to enhance the level of humidity in the plant, you can make use of a small humidifier for your plant.
- Also, keep misting your plant with water so that the plant receives a good amount of humidity and grows well.
- Hemigraphis alternata will thrive well if you feed it with spongy soil that contains a good amount of organic matter in it.
- The ideal pH level for your plant lies between 6.1-6.9 which is slightly acidic.
- Choose the soil that can retain the moisture without getting saturated.
- Also, you can mix pear moss or sphagnum moss into your potting mix as it will be a great layer for your plant as it improves the plant’s drainage.
- Hemigraphis Alternata likes to be fertilized in the summertime as its plants do to its dormant period in the winter.
- The ideal fertilizer ratio for your plant is 6-12-6, you have to provide it with a good amount of nutrients and it will receive via fertilizer.
- You can add compost to the potting mix as it will make the soil more nutritious.
- Also, you can make use of a liquid indoor fertilizer by diluting it to half-strength so that the plant does not receive much fertilizer.
Potting and repotting needs
- As this plant does not get that big because of its slow-growing capacity, it can be repotted after the span of every 4-5 years.
- When you observe that the roots are coming out from the drainage holes, then you have to repot your plant as it is overgrown now.
- You can choose a pot one size bigger than the previous pot so that there is extra space for the plant to thrive well.
- When you repot the plant, you have to be cautious as the roots are delicate.
- Hemigraphis Alternata likes to be pruned at the time of early spring or summer when the plant is growing actively.
- The main reason behind the pruning of your plant is to remove all the dead and affected leaves from the plant as it tend to disturb the whole plant.
- It even looks bad and also can infect the plant which is not good for the plant.
- Make use of sharp and sterilized scissors for pruning your plant so that the plant remains disease-free.
Wrapping up the context
Folks, I am happy that you read the full guide and finally know the process to grow your Hemigraphis Alternata ‘Purple Waffle’ in your home garden.
Still, if there remain any queries or doubts, then you can let me know about it or you can read the guide again to understand the process. I hope you are doing great in your gardening field. So, see you in the next guide till then safe gardening.
Thanks for reading! Happy gardening!