How to Grow & Care for Asplenium Nidus ‘Crispy Wave Fern’ (2023)
Hey folks! Welcome back!
Today I am here with a guide that will let you know how to grow and care for Asplenium Nidus ‘Crispy Wave Fern’ in your garden.
Asplenium Nidus is one of the plants that is the famous houseplant variety. Asplenium Nidus produces ribbon-structured leaves that look attractive with its green thick fern.
So what are you waiting for? Let’s begin this guide to learn the process of growing a magical and low-maintenance plant named Asplenium Nidus ‘Crispy Wave Fern’.
|Crispy Wave Fern, Japanese Asplenium Nidus, Pleated Bird’s Nest Fern
|Bright indirect sunlight
|Rich, quick-draining, loamy
|Water if the top 2 inches of soil are dry
|Only to remove damaged leaves
|18 to 24 inches as a houseplant
About Asplenium Nidus ‘Crispy Wave Fern’
Asplenium Nidus is one of the favorite choices of the farmers that they tend to grow in their home gardens. Also, it is famous for its other name bird’s nest fern.
It is one of the most appreciable plants to grow at home. It gives you a magical appearance from all the angels and its benefits will cherish your mind.
How to grow Asplenium Nidus ‘Crispy Wave Fern’?
Follow the steps to learn how can you grow Asplenium Nidus ‘Crispy Wave Fern’ in your home garden:
- It is easy to grow Asplenium nidus with the help of spores that appear underside on the fern’s fronds.
- All you have to do is to let the fronds get mature and then you have to remove a single frond.
- Keep it on the paper sheet so that the dried spores fall.
- After that, you have to pour it on the potting mix including peat moss which adds sufficient nutrients to the plant.
- Let it damp so that it grows and you have to wait till the time it begins to sprout.
- Lastly, when they grow sufficiently then it is the right time to plant them in small containers and maintain their growth.
- Keep in mind not to be impatient as the process will take about 7-8 months.
How to care for Asplenium Nidus ‘Crispy Wave Fern’?
As mentioned above, it is not difficult to maintain this plant as it does not ask for much care. All you have to do is to feed them with proper sunlight, water, humidity, temperature, potting mix, and sufficient nutrients for their growth.
- Asplenium nidus tends to grow in areas where they can receive plenty of sunlight which is between 4-5 hours a day so that it grows well.
- The sunlight that the plant receives is the indirect filtered sunlight that comes through the tree’s canopy.
- They like to grow in the bright indirect sunlight between 10,000-20,000 lux.
- Also, providing them with east exposure as they are the east-facing window plants that grow there well.
- Asplenium Nidus ‘Crispy Wave Fern’ tends to grow happily if it receives plenty of water as in its native areas there rains every 2-3 days which keeps the watering needs of the plant fuller.
- It is suggested to water your plant every single day so that the plant grows to its fullest.
- You have to keep the soil moist, so make sure you are not watering the plant in excess quantity.
- At the time of water, you have to water the plant less because it is in its dormant stage at that time.
Humidity and Temperature needs
- The ideal temperature for Asplenium nidus is 86ºF (30ºC), and the average low should never fall 70ºF (21ºC).
- During summers, you can keep the plant outside but also when the temperature falls, bring it inside.
- Asplenium nidus tends to grow in areas with a humidity level of about 80% or more than that. The ideal humidity level goes between 60-90%.
- You will be happy to know that there are ways that can help the plant to increase its humidity and that can be done with the help of a small humidifier as it will help the plant to keep moist.
- Keep misting your plant with water so that the plant remains moist.
- Asplenium nidus is one of those plants that choose tree branches to grow on, especially in the rainforests not in the ground.
- The best pH level for this plant is 5.0 which is acidic.
- The potting mix should be rich in nutrients like organic matter which should be porous and loose.
- Last but not least, make use of your soil mix by adding peat moss, perlite, pine bark, and compost so that the plant receives plenty of nutrients to grow healthy.
- Asplenium nidus demands fertilizer but you have to be careful as an excess supply of fertilizer will harm the plant.
- So, you have to dilute the mixture to its half-strength so that there is no chance of excess fertilizer.
- Making use of a liquid fertilizer that has a ratio of 28-8-16 would be great for the plants.
- Pour the fertilizer one time a month at the time of summer and spring over the soil surface not on the rosette so that the plant grows well.
Potting & Repotting
- Asplenium nidus will like to be repotted when the plant’s roots overgrow and come out from its drainage holes as it will that the plant is overgrown now and needs to be repotted to a new pot.
- Being a slow-growing plant, the need for repotting will depend on the quality of the growing habits of the plant.
- You have to choose your new Pot one size bigger than the previous pot so that the roots feel comfortable in it.
- Make use of a heavy clay pot like a glazed pot as it can keep the soil moist so that the plant does not suffer from any disease.
- Lastly, this plant likes to be pruned off so that the shape of the plant remains maintained.
- Being a slow-growing plant, there is no urgency to cut off your plant’s messy growth regularly.
- All you need is to remove all the dead and affected leaves so that the plant does not get infected by the attack of pests.
- Make sure to use sterilized knives to trim off your plant growth and do not cut from upwards rather start from the base as it will let the new growth emerge well.
Wrapping up the context
In this guide, you come to know about one of the best plants to grow in your home garden. Folks, I am happy that you read the full guide and finally know the process to grow Asplenium Nidus ‘Crispy Wave Fern’ in your home garden.
Still, if there remain any queries or doubts, then you can let me know about it or you can read the guide again to understand the process. I hope you are doing great in your gardening field. So, see you in the next guide till then safe gardening.
Thanks for reading! Happy gardening!