How to Grow & Care for Rhaphidophora Hayi ‘Shingle Plant’ (2023)
I hope you are doing fantabulous in your gardening career. Today I am here with an appreciable plant named ‘Shingle Plant’, scientifically known as Rhaphidophora Hayi.
They are popular plants that are spread in all regions of Australia and Southeast Asia.
So, growing Rhaphidophora Hayi will add great magic to your collection. It tends to produce beautiful trellis, all they need is proper care and maintenance which will be explained below.
Let’s get started to see the beautiful magic of this plant via this guide.
|Bright indirect sunlight
|Rich, quick-draining, loamy
|Water if the top 1 to 2 inches of soil are dry
|Beginning of the growing season
|5 feet as a houseplant
|Rarely blooms indoors
Growing Rhaphidophora Hayi ‘Shingle Plant
Growing your plant becomes easier with the help of this guide. As you have to grow Rhaphidophora Hayi you can opt for the method of stem cuttings for propagating your plant. It is easy to do so, so let’s get started.
Step 1- First, you have to collect your material like pruning scissors, it should be sharp and sterilized. Also, stem cutting from the mother plants that too 4-5 inches long for a healthy plant.
Step 2- Then, you have to remove its base leaves so that the nodes become visible, do not remove the leaves from the top.
Step 3- Now, put the node in the water and let it receive some sunlight for its growth.
Step 4– For a few weeks, this will be the process, and in between keep change in its water so that it grows freshly.
Step 5- When you observe sprouts from it, it is time to plant in the soil for the plant to grow.
Step 6- After the tenure of 2-4 weeks, take a good container that has drainage holes so that the plant remains moist.
Step 7- Put potting ix to it, add the cutting in the center, and gently pat the soil.
Step 8– Keep it in the same location as the previous one where they receive bright indirect sunlight.
Step 9- Last but not least, you have to check if the plant is receiving suffering water for its growth.
Caring for Rhaphidophora Hayi ‘Shingle Plant
Though the plant grows slowly when you nourish it with your efforts, it will show you the desired results. So, let’s begin to know the caring tips for the Rhaphidophora Hayi ‘Shingle Plant’ plant that is popular. They are as follows:
- Humidity and temperature
Let’s know about all of these caring tips of Rhaphidophora Hayi ‘Shingle Plant’ in detail:
- Rhaphidophora Hayi plants prefer to grow in bright indirect sunlight that too between 10,000 to 20,000 lux.
- These are the east-facing window plants that like to be away from the full sun effect as it scorches their leaves.
- They bear the light or medium range of sunlight for their strong and healthy vegetation.
- Rhaphidophora Hayi is not demanding when it comes to watering these plants. You have to water the plants when the soil of the plant is dry.
- You have to check the moisture of the soil before watering the plant as it will give without that, you can lose your plant.
- As in the rainforests, it rains most often, so less watering should be done to avoid waterlogged soil.
- Check the moisture by inserting a finger in the soil and if it feels dry, then you have to water the plants, especially at the time of summer.
Humidity and temperature needs
- These plants tend to thrive in temperatures that are above 85ºF in the daytime and 75ºF in the nighttime.
- When in the summers, there is more heat outside, it is recommended to move your plant out so that it tastes the heat.
- These plants like the humidity level for their growth between 80 to 90% throughout the year.
- You can use the plant as a wall decorative plant because of its climbing growing habit.
- Also, it is suggested to keep misting your plants so that the plant remains moist and humid, else you can even make use of a small humidifier.
- These plants prefer the soil that has a pH level of 6.1 to 6.5 which is slightly acidic.
- Make sure to choose well-drained soil for your plant with some moisture too.
- Even making use of Ariod soil mix will be good for your plants by creating magic in your plant.
- Rhaphidophora Hayilikes thrive well in the liquid houseplant fertilizer too with a ratio of 10-10-10.
- You have to fertilize your plants at that time when the plant grows actively.
- One time a month, When you water the plant, you have to feed them with fertilizer by diluting the mixture to its half strength.
- Pour the mixture on the soil surface gently.
- Make sure not to fertilize the plant in the wintertime as it will not suit the plants.
Potting & Repotting needs
- What about the Repotting needs of the plant? It is required to Repot these plants after the tenure of two years.
- It is suggested to Repot the plant when it overgrows and its roots come out from the drainage holes.
- Choose a new pot one inch bigger than the previous one so that the plant feels comfortable in it.
- Making use of a glazed pot with good drainage holes would be good as it tends to retain the moisture of the soil.
- Last but not least, add a new potting mix to the new container and be cautious while moving the plant from its pot.
- First, you have to prune off all the dead leaves from the plant so that it does not harm the other foliage.
- As this plant is an attraction to all, it needs less pruning because it grows slowly.
- It is suggested not to prune off the vegetation more than 1/4th.
- Make use of sterilized and sharp knives followed by gloves to trim off the plant ad it will not let the plant get affected by the dirty sap.
- Do it occasionally so that the plant maintains its shape and size.
Wrapping up the context
In this guide, you come to know that Rhaphidophora Hayi ‘Shingle Plant’ are popular plants that are spread in all regions of Australia and Southeast Asia. So, growing Rhaphidophora hayi will add great magic to your collection. It tends to produce beautiful trellis, all they need is proper care and maintenance which will be explained in a significant way in this guide.
Thanks for reading! Happy gardening!