What is a Propeller Plant? – How to Grow Crassula falcata ‘Propeller Plant’?
Have you ever heard about the propeller plant? It is a succulent plant but why is it known as a propeller plant? Folks, your knowledge regarding the propeller plant will be enhanced in this guide. The plant propeller is also known as crassula falcata. This beautiful succulent plant has shaped leaves just like a propeller, that is why it is named the propeller plant. Isn’t it amazing? Don’t you want to grow this beautiful plant in your yard to make it attractive? This succulent can go the best contrast with the other succulents like blue succulents if you plant them in your garden. It is grayish-green in color with red flowers that can tend to last only for a few weeks.
- The succulent can be grown in various shapes in a yard.
- You can play them individually or along with the other succulents.
- Succulents are a great option for anyone as they need minimal care.
- The amount of water required by these plants is the same as the other succulents and it can be grown in the yard.
- It can be a great option for your garden to add more elegance to it.
|place you can grow
|grown indoors or outdoors
|Full sun, partial shade
|9 inches tall, 12 inches wide
|Zone 9 (Minimum 20° F | -6.7 ° C)
|Not cold hardy
|Leaves, cuttings, and offsets
|Non-toxic to humans and animals
Let us know more about the propeller plant in detail.
What is a Propeller Plant?
Crassula falcata is also known as a propeller plant, airplane plant, and so on. The succulent is a native to South Africa. As its fleshy leaves are shaped like propellers it is respectively known as a propeller plant. This succulent is among the unknown succulents but it delivers a great combination when you plant them with the other succulents. They can grow in a pot or in your yard.
As these succulents provide a cluster of amazing flowers in her summertime, people started to call them scarlet paintbrushes. How amazingly people defined these plants as. This plant attains a height of up to 2 feet and also smells like a mild and unnoticeable fragrance.
It is a very beautiful succulent that is found in every succulent lover’s home. The process of growing crassula will be very enjoyable and caring for this beautiful succulent is an easy process. They are used to Bloom with different shapes, designs, and colors which will add uniqueness to your garden. They are going to look went and great with other succulent plants. It is very easy to care for and grow if you know all the requirement that is needed for both indoor and outdoor planting.
How to Grow Crassula falcata ‘Propeller Plant’?
The Crassula falcata ‘propeller plant’ can be grown easily by various methods like they can be grown through cutting, side shoots, offsets, and leaves. We will be discussing one method that can give you the best result within. Follow the below steps to know about the propagation of Crassula falcata with the help of cuttings:
Step 1- Firstly, you have to take a spayed-sharpen knife so that you cut the stem of the Crassula falcata from its base.
Step 2- Now, you java to wait for some days so that your stem provides calluses and places them in a shady area.
Step 3- After that in good drying soil, you have to put that part of the stem.
Step 4- Then, water the plant for two days. You need to give the plant regular water.
How to care for the propeller plant?
Propeller plants need minimal care for their growth like California Elephant Ear Plant. But you have to take care of the caring tips for their maximum growth. Let us know about the caring tips in detail with the help of the following points:
The propeller plant needs full sun for growth. You can provide them with 3-4 hours of sunlight in a day. If you plant them inside your house, then you can place them in an area where they can receive plenty of sunlight. Firstly, let them in lightly shaded areas, then let them expose to the full sun for their maximum ability to grow.
During summertime, you need to water your plants frequently as this will make them stay hydrated. You can water them when her soil gets dry. If you are placing the plant in a cold room during wintertime, then you need not water them regularly.
These plants tend to give flowers in the summertime. They develop big red flowers. These plants scent like a mild and unnoticeable fragrance. This plant will prove to be a great addition to your yard.
For more such plant related-articles, you may also read, Anthurium Propagation – How to Split and Divide Anthurium Plant?
You have to provide your plant with a diluted liquid fertilizer once a month in the summertime. Don’t increase the pace of the fertilizer.
This plant can go best with the cactus soil or even if the potting soil is mixed with the sand. Whenever you transplant it, you need to use fresh soil for them.
How to propagate Crassula falcata ‘propeller plant’:
The following are some different ways to propagate Crassula falcata ‘propeller plant’:
- To complete leave propagation you need to pull the leaf from the matured plant stem.
- Make sure not to leave any part of the leaves on the stem in short you get a full leave.
- In case you are not sure that you will remove the full leaf then you can use a cutter to cut the leaf off.
- You need to keep the cut leave out for 2 to 4 days so that it forms a callus.
- After completing the 2 to 4 days you can plant the leaf in well-draining soil.
- The same process is being followed for growing the plant by stem propagation but here you need to use a trimmer so that you can cut a clean cutting.
- For stem cutting, you need to create an angle with a trimmer.
- Keep the stem cutting out for 2 to 4 days so that it forms a callus.
- After formation, you can plant the cutting in well-draining soil.
Crassula Falcata Pests or Disease Problems:
- The succulent is the plant that is used to store water in its leaves and if the plant is overwatered then the plant has the problem of root rot.
- In order to get rid of the condition of root rot you need to limit the frequency of watering the plant so that it is able to recover.
- The plant is able to attract Mealybug and spider mites for that you need to remove the hugs with a cotton that is dipped in alcohol.
- Spider mites are the insects with attract the plant you are growing in a dry environment. In case if you find Spider mites then you can use insecticide to get rid of them.
Uses For Propeller Plant Crassula Falcata:
The following are some uses of Propeller Plant Crassula Falcata:
- Growing the plant indoor enables it to handle direction light.
- To grow the plant properly you need to plan then in a suitable pot and place in a south-facing window only during the growing season.
- During the winter season we need to place the plant in the cooler area so that flowers bloom quickly.
Wrapping up the context
In this guide, you come to know about the propeller plant. This succulent is among the unknown succulents but it delivers a great combination when you plant them with the other succulents. They can grow in a pot or in your yard. As these succulents provide a cluster of amazing flowers in her summertime, people started to call them scarlet paintbrushes. I hope this article will be helpful for you all.
Are propeller plants rare?
Yes, this plant is difficult to find as it’s an occasional succulent. The plant gives blossoms in the springtime.
Why is my propeller plant falling over?
The propeller plant can be loosened if you provide them with plenty of water. Folks, do not overwater the propeller plant as they can fall because of the over the weight of water intake by them.
How tall does a propeller plant grow?
The propeller plane can grow up to the height of 9-12 inches taller and 12 inches wider. Some of the mature propellers can attain a height of 2 feet.