How to Grow & Care for Philodendron Hederaceum ‘Moonlight’ (2023)
Do you know what are the things that make the Philodendron Hederaceum ‘Moonlight’ a special plant if not then I am here to tell you about the plant as they are known as Philodendron Orostachys. Let’s learn more in detail and what are the different ways to grow and care for Philodendron Hederaceum ‘Moonlight’.
|Philodendron hederaceum ‘Moonlight‘
|Moonlight Philodendron, Lime Philodendron
|Once the soil becomes dry to about 1” inch deep, it’s time to water.
|65 to 80ºF (18 to 27ºC)
|USDA Zones 10 to 11
|50% percent or higher
|Moist and free-draining
|5.0 – 7.0 (Acid – Neutral)
|Once a month in the spring and summer months,
all-purpose balanced liquid fertilizer
|Late spring or early summer, every year
|Spring or autumn
|Divisions or stem cuttings
|Toxic to pets and humans
|Height of 20 to 24 feet; width of 20 to 26 inches
|Between spring and summer
About Philodendron Hederaceum ‘Moonlight’:
According to my experience of gardening and planting Philodendron Hederaceum ‘Moonlight’ is a stunning and very popular houseplant that is known for its unique appearance. The plant has a shrublike growth habit. In the starting stage, the leaves of the plant are bright green, and when reaching maturity leaves have a ribbed appearance. The plant does have oval-shaped leaves that grow a foot long in size. Many beginners consider it as gardening in their houses because of their low requirements and small size.
How to grow Philodendron Hederaceum ‘Moonlight’?
There are many different ways to grow Philodendron Hederaceum ‘Moonlight’ and I am going to explain to you all about them in detail.
- You can easily grow the plant by division method in which you need to separate a few stem-cutting from the parent plant into smaller sections.
- Just make sure the stem cutting consists of at least one root node at every piece.
- Now plant the pieces of cutting in the soil and water them regularly.
- Place the plant in a warm location.
- Growing Philodendron Hederaceum ‘Moonlight’ with the help of cutting is an interesting process.
- You need to clean the dirt or damaged roots with the help of pruning shears.
- After cleaning the cutting put it in the moist soil and water the cutting regularly.
- You can also grow the cutting in the water for that you need to place the cutting in a cup or in a jar and fill it with clean water.
- You will notice that the new roots will begin to grow within in few weeks.
- You need to make sure not to overwater the Philodendron Hederaceum ‘Moonlight’.
- For proper growing, you need to look for three basic requirements such as proper sunlight, ample watering, and a good amount of nutrients.
After growing the plant you need to learn about how to care for Philodendron Hederaceum ‘Moonlight’ in more detail below:
How to Care for Philodendron Hederaceum ‘Moonlight’?
If you worry about how to care for Philodendron Hederaceum ‘Moonlight’ then here is the solution to your problem as I will be here discussing about the basic requirements that are needed by Philodendron Hederaceum ‘Moonlight’ such as:
- Potting and repotting
- By placing the plant in east-facing window will give the plant a good amount of satisfying light.
- The plant will easily get a couple of hours of direct sunlight and indirect sunlight in a whole day.
- The plant is a little sensitive to strong light so you need to protect the plant.
- In the case of planting the Philodendron Hederaceum ‘Moonlight’ outdoors, you need to find a shady spot where the plant can get dappled light.
- The good way of Watering the Philodendron Hederaceum ‘Moonlight’ is moderate.
- If you find that the soil is dry about 1 inch deep you need to water the plant thoroughly.
- Avoid the condition of overwatering that will cause the plant to lead to root rot.
- Always make sure the excess water seeps out of the drainage.
- The best way to water the Philodendron Hederaceum ‘Moonlight’ is once a week during the summer and spring seasons and in the winter season adjust accordingly.
- The good set range of temperatures to grow Philodendron Hederaceum ‘Moonlight’ is between 65 to 80ºF (18 to 27ºC).
- A good typical indoor temperature is good for growing the plant.
- The temperature tolerance of the plant is not below 55ºF (13ºC).
- In case the plant is kept near a window make sure to keep the plant in a warm place during the night.
- To get the perfect amount of temperature you need to place a curtain in your window.
- The Philodendron Hederaceum ‘Moonlight’ does lie under USDA hardiness zones 10 to 11.
- Maintaining a high humidity level for growing Philodendron Hederaceum ‘Moonlight’ is perfect for them.
- You need to maintain the humidity at least 50% or more humidity in the room.
- A good way of maintaining the humidity for the plant is by occasional misting.
- You can also use a humidifier that will help to save time for maintaining it.
- For care of Philodendron Hederaceum ‘Moonlight’ you need to maintain a moist and well draining soil.
- To make a perfect soil mixture you can add organic matter or make a combination of peat-vermiculite, peat-perlite, or even 100% sphagnum moss.
- Adding this mixture will provide help with a good amount of nutrients, oxygen, and water for growing.
- For planting the plant the pH level of the soil is between 5 to 7 (acidic to neutral).
- For growing Philodendron Hederaceum ‘Moonlight’ you need to add fertilizer so that the plant is lush and healthy.
- The perfect time to add fertilizer is in the spring and summer season.
- You can also apply the liquid fertilizer one time in a month.
- Using slow-release fertilizer for growing Philodendron Hederaceum ‘Moonlight’ will help for a long supply of nutrients through time.
- In winter and fall you can apply the fertilizer once a month to every 6 to 8 weeks.
In case the build-up of fertilizer salts occurs you need to wash the plant with overflowing of water and repeat the process.
Potting & Repotting:
- You need to report the plant because it is easy to get in pot-bound condition.
- You need to provide the roots of the plant a good amount of space to grow them well.
- For growing the plant you need to increase the pot size and replace the soil.
- The best time for repotting the plant is in spring and summer.
- To remove the plant from the current pot you need to soak the soil so that it loosens it up and it becomes easy to remove the plant from the plant.
- Before potting the plant in a new pot you need to remove the excess amount of soil and check the roots of the plant.
- Now trim off the dead leaves and use the freshing potting mix and plant it in the new pot and at least water the plant thoroughly.
- Pruning the Philodendron Hederaceum ‘Moonlight’ is the perfect way to maintain the shape of the plant for that you need to trim off the stems and leaves of the plant.
- To maintain the plant’s health you need to remove the dead diseased, and aged foliage as doing this will help in maintaining the spreading of diseases and develop new leaves through it.
- The perfect time for pruning the Philodendron Hederaceum ‘Moonlight’ is in the mid-spring and fall seasons.
above mentioned ways to grow and care for Philodendron Hederaceum ‘Moonlight’ will help you to grow them in your house garden to add beauty to your house.