How to Grow & Care for Philodendron Erubescens ‘Imperial Green’ (2024)
I hope you are doing great in your gardening career. Today when I was walking in my yard adoring the beauty of my garden, I thought that I have not grown many varieties of philodendrons in my garden. So, why not add more to my collection? The same goes for you. Philodendron Erubescens ‘Imperial Green’ is one of the elegant plants that develop glossy texture leaves that steals everyone’s attention.
Thus, growing Philodendron Erubescens ‘Imperial Green’ would be good and it is also called a Green philodendron. One of the easiest to maintain variety.
So, let’s get started.
|Blushing philodendron, red-leaf philodendron, imperial red philodendron
|Type of plant
|Well-drained soil, loamy soil
|During summer and springtime
|During summers and springtime
|Central America, South America
Growing Philodendron Erubescens ‘Imperial Green’
One of the best methods that we have already discussed in a few of the topics is stem cuttings. With the help of cuttings, it becomes easy to grow a plant whether you are a beginner or experienced. So, let’s get started to know the steps of growing Philodendron Erubescens in your home garden:
Step 1- First, you have to take the healthy stem from the parent plant and cut it with two to three leaves on it with sterilized scissors.
Step 2- It should be 5-6 inches long so that the plant grows healthy.
Step 3- Now, in a container you have to put some good potting mix which should be well drained.
Step 4- Additionally, pour some water for moisture in the soil.
Step 5- Keep the cutting in the soil by removing leaves from the top.
Step 6– Ensure to keep the pot in a warm and humid place where it can breathe properly and grow fully.
Step 7– When you will observe the sprouts, it is a sign that your plant has started growing.
Step 8- After the tenure of 20-25 days, Repot them to a new and big container with good drainage holes so that the plant grows properly.
Caring for Philodendron Erubescens ‘Imperial Green’
Folks, when it comes to growing Philodendron, you might think who will take care of it. But I must be clear that it is not difficult to maintain this plant as this is easy to do so. As you know more than 300 varieties of Philodendron are there which can be easily grown in your home garden. So as you have chosen to grow Philodendron Erubescens ‘Imperial Green’. Let’s know about some of its caring tips that will help you in maintaining the growth of the plant.
- Humidity and temperature
Let’s know about this in detail:
- It is suggested to water Philodendron Erubescens 1-2 times a week thoroughly.
- They tend to survive in moist conditions for their growth.
- So, it is important to avoid watering the plant in excess as it can cause root rot in the plant which will spoil its growth.
- In the duration between the waterings, check if the soil is dry, it should not be left dry as you have to keep them watered.
- Overwatering is harmful to the Philodendron Erubescens, so make sure you are not doing so.
- Feed your Philodendron Erubescens plants with bright and indirect exposure to sunlight to stimulate their growth.
- Four hours of sunlight would be effective for them to grow in a day but excess of that would be harmful.
- Make sure you are not keeping your plant near the window as direct sun will develop yellow-colored leaves in the plant.
- When you keep the plant in your yard, then expose them to indirect sunlight or shade rather than direct sun.
“Little things seem nothing, but they give peace, like those meadow flowers which individually seem odorless but all together perfume the air.”— By Georges Bernanos
- Guys, it is true that when you love your plant, you feed them with whatever they require, so the other caring tip for this plant is well-drained soil.
- Remove the excess water from the soil and add half of the perlite and peat moss to it would be a great combination for this plant.
- The best pH level of this plant lies between 5-8 which is mildly acidic.
- Make sure you are not sterilizing the soil when you are repotting Philodendron Erubescens.
- Fertilizer is needed by every plan so that it thrives well. So, for increasing the growth of your plant at a faster pace, you have to give it fertilizer constantly.
- Feed it with fertilizer one to two times a month so that it maintains the balance.
- Making use of balanced fertilizer with a ratio of NPK would be a great choice for the plant.
- Why not use any organic fertilizer? Yes, you can use organic fertilizer if you have to. Just avoid overfertilization in the plant as it will create root rot in the plant and harm it.
Humidity and temperature needs
- These plants tend to grow in areas where there is moisture like some of the other varieties of philodendron.
- The ideal temperature of the plants will lie between 55-80 degrees of Fahrenheit. Try not to exceed that and not to decrease that.
- Provide them with its regular room temperature, if you ate comfortably in your room, then your plants too are.
- Last but not least, another thing you have to do is to trim off your plants though these plants do not need much of it still you have to do it.
- During the fall season, you can trim them off as it is the best time to prune them because of their growing time.
- Making use of sharp and sterilized scissors would be good as they will cause any diseases in the Philodendron Erubescens.
- For keeping them a good shape and removing their dead and all the affected foliage you have to cut them off to let the new growth come in.
Common problems of Philodendron Erubescens ‘Imperial Green’
As explained every plant has its pros and cons. Though this is one of the low-maintenance plants it too creates some problems for gardeners. So, it is important to understand those problems. They are as follows:
Yellowing of leaves
One of the issues with the Philodendron Erubescens is that its leaves begin to turn yellow after some time. It is not a good sign for the plants. It can be due to the excess supply of water to the plants or less supply of water to the plants.
Another problem of this plant is being diseased by either less supply of water or less supply of sunlight.
- For avoiding root rot, keep a check on the plant and trim off the dead leaves from it.
- Making use of an antifungal spray will be more appropriate.
Brown leaf tips
Another issue with the Philodendron Erubescens is the brown-colored tips on the top of the leaves. It happens mainly because of the fluoride content in the air. So, let the water rest before watering the plant.
One of the issues with all the plants is the pest attack. But why? Why do pests love to move around the plants and eat them?
Guys pests tend to suck the liquid of the plant so that they can satisfy their hunger but it is easy to get rid of them:
- Make use of insecticidal soap one time in a month to keep the pests and wasps away.
- Also making use of cotton balls soaked with rubbing alcohol would be good.
Another problem that is beyond pests is the growing problems of the plant. It can be the leggy growth of the plant due to various reasons that can be cured.
- You have to prune off the plant so that it moves the affected growth.
- Also, move your plants to a sunny place that is away from the full fun.
Wrapping up the context
In this guide, you come to know about one of the best plants to grow in your home garden. Folks, I am happy that you read the full guide and finally know the process to grow your Philodendron Erubescens ‘Imperial Green’ in your home garden. Still, if there remain any queries or doubts, then you can let me know about it or you can read out the guide again to understand the process. I hope you are doing great in your gardening field. So, see you in the next guide till then safe gardening.
Thanks for reading! Happy gardening!