How to Propagate String Of Pearls? – Speedy Succulents (The Fastest Way)
How to Propagate String Of Pearls? The string of pearls name is so right for this plant that it actually looks like a string having a pearl size pod almost looking like pearls in green color. In this article, we will reveal how you can propagate the strings of pearl plants in the fastest way and what care you will be giving your string of pearls to keep it going.
- The scientific name of a string of pearls is Senecio rowleyanus, known for its fast-growing ability.
- The plants are so easy to propagate. Though the plant has the ability to self-propagate as well.
- The plant is so easy to grow and is loved by beginners a lot.
- The plants look really aesthetic and elegant in the hanging pots.
- The bead-like leaves are absolutely unique looking and eye catchy.
- The strings of pearls are actually the succulents making the propagation easier for you and even the care.
Propagating the String of pearls in the fastest way
If you want to propagate the strings of pearls in the fastest and most rewarding way then we suggest you use cuttings of the plant to propagate them. You should propagate the plant during the summer or spring season when the plant is super active and not during the fall time as the plant is a little slow or dormant just like other succulents Blue Elf Succulent, Dolphin Succulent Plant, Manfreda Succulents, Tiger Jaws Succulent, Graptoveria Succulent, etc.
You can cut the section using the sharp clean pruners and cut the plant at the extended stem near the end having the leaves. Let’s look at the other material that you need for propagating the string of pearls
Propagation tools that you must have
A good sanitized potting mix that is well-draining, a spray bottle, sharp scissors or pruning shears, a pot small-sized to medium-sized with good drainage holes, and healthy and clean cuttings of the plant are the main stuff that you need for strings of pearls. Make sure that the pot is not too small or too big. The size of the pot should be between 4 to 6 inches.
The potting mix should have pumice or perlite for good drainage. For a good amount of nutrients add compost into the potting soil mix.
You might need floral pins to keep the cutting in place and it prevents less moving.
Yes, you can use a pencil for creating the holes but using chopsticks is a game changer. You can create holes for even the thin cutting as well.
How to Propagate String Of Pearls?
Collect the cutting
The strings of pearls need to be cut about 4 inches and this will be used as cutting for propagation. You need to cut between the leaves and the portion that you cut down should be healthy, green, and without any infection or mold. Use sharp pruning shears that are clean and let the cuttings get dry so that roots stay away from bacteria or root rot.
For more such plant related-articles, you may also read, How to grow Cape Fuchsia Plants? – Propagate Cape Fuchsia
Prepare the mix and pot
Use a small pot and the potting mix that is without any fungal growth or bacteria. The potting mix should be well draining as well and moist. The moisture in the soil is really important for the growth of roots. Mix the soil with a little sand and compost to add nutrients to it.
Plant the cutting
Remove the few leaves at the bottom of the cutting and plant the cutting into the soil, by making holes in the soil. The cutting will need time to emerge from the roots but as the roots appear the plant will grow at a fast speed. Make sure that the soil is well moist. Water the plant with spray and not can which can damage the plantlet.
As the roots are grown well the plant needs to be repotted in a large-sized pot. It is important that the plant after 5 months should be fed with all-purpose diluted fertilizer.
Propagating in water
Another method to propagate the strings of pearls using cuttings is to propagate in water. Take 3-5 inches of the string of pearls cutting and remove two-three leaves from the bottom and place it in the water. You can also add growth hormone into the water. The roots will emerge after 24 hours. Plant the section into the pot with drained and moist soil.
Propagate String of Pearls in Water:
The following are some steps involved in propagating the string in pearls in water:
Take the Cuttings:
- You need to select some healthy stems to cut from the parent plant.
- The stem cutting should be at least 4 to 6 inches.
- After selecting make a cut below a leaf node.
- Make sure to remove the leaves that are present in the bottom of two inches.
Put the Cuttings in Water:
- Now you need to fill the jar with fresh, room-temperature water.
- After which you can place the cutting on the bare end of the stem in the jar.
- You need to make sure to keep the leaves of the cutting over the water line.
Monitor the Cuttings:
- You need to place the jar where they get bright, indirect light.
- Make sure to change the water in case of getting cloudy.
- The cuttings start to grow roots within 3 to 4 weeks.
Transplant the Cuttings:
- After the roots reach upto an inch long you can transplant them into a small pot.
Caring for cutting of String of Pearls:
The following are some steps you need to follow for caring for cutting of String of Pearls:
- You need to place the cutting in bright light but make sure to keep them away from direct sunlight.
- The direct contact will burn the leaves of the plant.
- You need to keep the plants lightly moist but dont soak them wet. To maintain the soil moisture you need to grow the succulent & cactus mix which will help in growing the cutting.
- Dont underwater the cutting as watering needs depend on the environmental conditions.
- In case you take out the cutting and they have not rooted you can plant the cutting back in the mix.
- The plants are used to grow best during the warmer spring and summer months.
Propagating a string of pearls:
The sting of pearls slows down the growth during winter months so the best time to start propagating the plant is during the spring or summer season. In case of leaving the warmer climate, it will take a few minutes and patience.
I suggest you watch the video for the way to propagate plants to get help and propagate the plant individually.
Hence I hope you got to know about how to propagate a string of pearls in different ways such as stem cutting in soil and water. after propagating how to take care of stem-cutting
How do you make a string of pearls fuller?
Pruning the string of pearls plant from the top can make the plant fuller. Trim down the plant near the soil to enhance growth and leaves.
What is the best soil for a string of pearls?
The soil having more sand is the best for strings of pearls. The sandy soil is great for the roots of strings of pearls as the drainage is quite well in this soil. The moist and well-draining soil is what these plants want.
How long can a string of pearls live?
There is no particular time limit for the pearls of strings to live. With the proper care, these plants can live for five years otherwise with poor conditions the plant will not survive for long. Plants have a great ability to propagate and grow fast. The plant can be grown forever by propagation and proper care.