How To Braid A Money Tree: The Ultimate Guide To Follow
Are you a Money Tree Adorer? Braided Money Trees come into existence after getting twisted together. This amazing houseplant is naturally braided and looks attractive. Hey folks! I’m Anna Scott, a Gardener by heart and Profession, started my Journey 15 years ago and Now I am teaching other gardeners as well to achieve their goals.
But How to braid a money tree? Though Money Tree lovers will know how to braid them I am here with the informative guide for others. There are various beautiful braided styles for money trees, bind the young money trees, and maintain the plant till it matures. The right technique to braid a money tree is important as it is a beautiful process that adds value to areas like homes, offices, etc.
So, what are you waiting for? Money trees plants will grow about 20-30 feet long and attract visitors. So, to make it more beautiful, let’s get started to know how to braid a money tree and other things to look after.
Do Money Trees Braid Themselves?
Though the lovely look of the stems of the money tree will seem like it is shaped naturally it’s not true. Braiding of the stems is a process that is being introduced for indoor or outdoor plants which tend to enhance the beauty of the plant and provide support to the plant.
Some of the common plants like ficus, hibiscus, Azalea, bay leaf plants, etc look like they have braided stems. Some plants like Lucky Bamboo and Money Trees are so famous for the process of braiding that it is rare to see them without the braids. Braid here means being decorative, strands interlacing, etc that is not limited to the particular styles of the braid. b
Some braided plants will twist together to form a spiral shape which looks attractive as they are densely packed leaves. Where are some gravy plants include interval strands that are molded in vases and even coils.
Many trees are considered as the thicker base plants that are fibrous, just like the lucky bamboo. You will see them braided in different shapes. Although you will see them with interwoven strands. This would be a great addition to your locations like offices, and homes that add value to the plants and you can give them as gifts to your loved ones.
How to Braid A Money Tree? Steps To Braiding A Money Tree
Adding a money tree to your location will add magic vibes to your collection. They are easy to braid and care for. I will let you know about the steps of breathing this plant and also the caring routine for this plant. So firstly let’s know the steps to braiding a tree. They are as follows:
Things to collect:
- A healthy money tree
- Garden tape
- Measuring tape
- To garden stakes
Let’s begin with the process:
Step 1: Check the plant
The first step is to inspect the plant before braiding. It is because you should know if the plant is healthy or not to braid.
Proceed by looking at the shops and measuring them with the help of measuring tape. The shoots need to be around 15 to 16 inches long. Otherwise, the process of braiding will hinder the growth of the tree.
The shoots develop scars if the plant is being braided in its young stage. The scars remain on the plant till its last breath. A money tree requires to have at least 3 shoots to be braided.
Step 2: Hold shoots from the base
The next step is after you are confirmed that the plant is long enough and has 3 to 5 shoots The plant is ready to be braided.
Have a look at the bottom of the base from where the stems are emerging. After that hold one shoot in one hand and the other in the other hand leaving one in the middle(if there are three shots) also, grab two shoots in each hand(if there are five shots).
Step 3: Create the first plait
Are you ready to make a French braid? Bring the shoots in your left hand over the shoots in your right hand by positioning the middle shoot so that it is now placed on the left. Do the same with the right-hand shoots and keep following the process, but do it slowly by not tangling the leaves.
Step 4: String it up
After you are done with the first plait, If the braid has now reached the leafy portion of the plant, stop the process by 5 to 6 inches.
After that, take a string or garden tape as mentioned above to secure the braids (you can use anything that can tie them) do not do it too tightly around the tree so that there is space for breathing.
If you tie it too tightly, then it will not supply the oxygen to the branches which results in deterioration.
Step 5: Plant the Stakes
After it’s done, take two stakes by placing them on the opposite sides of the plant. it should support the tree so that the tree does not lean forward.
It will help in growing the braided shoots, straight and healthy. Use the strings to Tie them to the tree.
Step 6: Re-braid
Last, but not least after 2 to 4 months, when the plant grows bigger now is the right time to re-braid.
To begin with the process. Firstly remove the garden tape that you placed previously around the tree. then grab the plant and braid The sections as you did previously. Leave 5 to 6 inches unbraided When you come to the leaf potions.
Take the tape and move it around the plant like earlier and this is how you are done with the re-braiding of the money tree.
How do you keep a Money tree braided?
Money trees will grow well if they are provided with favorable climatic conditions or growing conditions such as sufficient indirect sunlight, a good amount of humidity, and warm climatic conditions.
This plant requires to be braided after every 2 to 3 months which depends on the size of the tree in your home garden. but if you are thinking that your plant is being over-braided, then observe its stems.
When the stems are green, and firm it shows that the plant is growing healthy. But if the leaves are falling off or they are turning yellow or brown, producing curled leaves, it indicates that the plant is over-stressed because of the process of braiding that happens often.
If it happens, then you can provide a few months to the plant before the next braiding takes place. As normally you breed after it grows 6 to 8 inches tall, but for the next process wait for about 8 to 10 inches of the growth to appear when the plant is being stressed.
How to Care for a Braided Money Tree?
Caring for a braided money tree is not a difficult task. You should know about the caring tips for the maintenance of your plant that are explained below.
- It requires water when the soil becomes fully dry from the top to the bottom.
- This plant does not require too much water for its growth so you should keep the gap between waterings.
- Make use of moisture with her to check the moisture of the soil.
- Or you can check the moisture by inserting a finger inside the world about 1 to 2 inches deep and if it feels dry then only water your plant.
- Drain away in the saucer that is filled with the water collected from the drainage holes.
- This plant will grow well in a moderate amount of Bright indirect sunlight. Direct Sunlight will ruin the growth of the plant.
- It will not let the plant enjoy photosynthesis and generate food to grow.
- Keep the plant inside near the west-facing window to receive indirect sunlight.
- Also, making use of LED grow lights will be fine but keep them 20 inches away from the plant.
- Being a tropical plant, it requires about 65 to 80°F of temperature to remain healthy.
- As the room temperature is always warm, if you’re getting them indoors, then no need to worry.
- Do not expose the plant to air-conditioners or open windows as it will damage its foliage.
- Move this outdoor plant to the indoor location in the wintertime and cover it with plastic wrap to prevent it from frost.
- This plant requires a minimum of 50% humidity to grow well.
- They can also survive in a humidity level of 65 to 70% if the plant is outside.
- To increase the level of humidity, make use of a pebble tray filled with water and place it under the pot.
- Also installing a humidifier in the room will help if you keep it on for half of the day.
- If there are more humidity-adoring plants, then keep them all together so that the level of humidity increases in their surroundings.
- Last but not least, the kitchen area and bathroom area are some of the most humid locations in your home. So if there is a lack of moisture, then you can move the plant there.
- It requires well-drained and loamy soil to grow healthy.
- Ordinary potting mix will be great but add some amount of coir and perlite to it which adds the nutrient content to the soil.
- It will help in loosening the soil which makes the water flow easy.
- For more nutrients make use of peat moss, vermiculite, etc in the soil which also enhances the health of the soil.
- Make use of terracotta pots for the money tree as it will help in good drainage in the plant.
- The Fertilizer requirements of this plant should be fulfilled during summer when it produces new leaves in the plant.
- Make use of balanced liquid fertilizer to feed your plant (Note: Dilute it with water to prevent over-fertilization).
- Water soluble fertilizer will be great but do not feed when the temperatures fall in autumn.
- Fertilize them after every 2 to 3 months which will help in detoxifying the soil.
- Every plant requires pruning to attain a healthy shape and size and the same is the case with the money tree.
- Trim the plant with the help of sharp and sterilized scissors at a 45° angle to the stem.
- Remove all the extra branches from the plant for a good look.
- Also, removing dead and decayed leaves is suggested so that new growth emerges in the plant.
- Pruning is suggested to be done in the spring season.
Wrapping up the context
In this guide, you come to know that there are various beautiful braided styles for money trees, bind the young money trees, and maintain the plant till it matures. The right technique to braid a money tree is important as it is a beautiful process that adds value to areas like homes, offices, etc. So, what are you waiting for?
Money trees plants will grow about 20-30 feet long and attract visitors. So, to make it more beautiful, read the full guide for its proper understanding. I will come back with another informative guide soon. Till then safe gardening.
Thanks for reading! Happy Gardening!
What is the routine for the money tree?
The routine for a money tree is that it requires to be rotated so that the sunlight touches the plant at every corner. Before watering the plant, it is needed to check the moisture of the plant to see if it is dry or not.
How many times does a money tree give money?
Money trees are considered as the trees that produce bells. They develop bells once in a while when you shake off the money bags from the trees. After that, the plant will go back to its regular tree.
Why is my money tree dying?
The money tree is dying because the plant is not receiving moisture to grow well. But if the moisture is too much, then the plant will face trunk rot.