Do Poinsettias need Sun? Poinsettias Caring Guide 2024
Hey folks!! Welcome back!!
Today I am here to talk about one of the interesting plants that is being grown by every gardener in his home garden. It is Poinsettias that are native to the Mexican plants and known as short-day plants that tend to change their colors at night. Do Poinsettias need sun to grow well?
As you know when the winters arrive, we begin to plant those varieties that add value and color to the home garden like Christmas trees, but there is no variety just like the Poinsettias. It is like those houseplants that will look amazing in your home garden by adding their presence to your collection.
But do you know if you are feeding them with proper requirements like sunlight, and water? If yes, then you are doing good. Now it is required to know that if Poinsettias need sunlight or not. Let’s get started to know more about the sunlight needs of Poinsettias.
Poinsettias are one of the plants that are also called Christmas flower plants. It is native to Mexico and some parts of Central America. It is considered as the small shrub that is used at the time of Christmas.
It is easy to recognize the poinsettias as it bears dark-colored foliage that looks vibrant in the area. Also, this plant comes in various varieties in the shades of pink, purple, white, orange, etc.
The red variety of the poinsettias is the most famous one among the 150 other varieties of it. It tends to produce flower-shaped leaves in some varieties.
Do poinsettias need Sun?
Yes, like other plants, Poinsettias require a good amount of sunlight for its healthy growth. Sunlight will help them in photosynthesis which helps the plant to produce brighter-colored leaves and foliage as well.
Poinsettias require a good amount of light for about 6 hours a day so that they produce evergreen leaves on the plant. As you know they are short-day plants, poinsettias do not flower if they receive 14 hours of darkness fully.
You do not have to do anything with the darkness, that is the work of the grower who already does that thing for you. Feed your plant with sunlight so that it shows you the colorful effects at the time of Christmas.
What kind of light do poinsettias need?
Every plant’s requirements are different when it comes to the amount of nutrients it wants from the sunlight. Some plants need sunlight, and some require shade for their growth, so it is important to know about the requirements of a plant that you are growing in your garden. I am telling you this thing from my own experience.
Now comes the right point, if you want to grow your garden plants happily, then know what kind of sunlight it require.
This plant requires a good amount of bright indirect sunlight as they do not like to grow in less sunlight. So, do not provide them with either direct sunlight or low sunlight. Sunlight needs to be moderate.
When you place your poinsettias in contact with direct sunlight, then it causes their bloom to fade and colorless which will not look attractive in your garden. It is because of the bleach of the light that will fade the color.
Make sure you are not feeding direct sunlight to the plants as it causes burn in the plant by making the leaf tips brown.
How to Care for Poinsettias in your garden?
It is easy to grow a plant, and then caring for a plant is not easy. But it will be easier from now onwards as I am here with tips that can help you learn how to care for poinsettias in your garden. They are as follows:
- As you know poinsettias are tropical plants so they require warm areas for their growth.
- It is suggested to provide them with six hours of sunlight a day so that they grow well.
- A direct supply of sunlight will harm the plant. So, provide them with indirect light daily.
- Keep your plant away from the cold drafts so that there is no injury to the plant.
- Provide the poinsettias as per the temperature range that lies between 65 to 75°F in the daytime and between 60 to 65°F at night.
- If you provide a good temperature to your plant, then you will observe more blooming in the plant.
- Do not let your plant receive a temperature range that is below 50°F.
- Every plant requires water so that it grows well. The same is the case with poinsettias that require water when the soil is dry.
- You can touch the soil to know its moisture so that you come to know about the right time to water your plants.
- Overwatering is not good for plants because it leads to the yellowing of the leaves. Also, less supply of water causes wilting in the plant.
- So, water poinsettias when the top inches of the soil is dry and that can be checked by putting a finger inside the soil, and if it feels dry, then water the plants at its base.
- Poinsettias require well-drained soil for their growth.
- Do not let the water sit in the plant as it will not allow the plant to breathe which will damage the roots and cause root rot in the plant.
- Poinsettias need all-purpose houseplant fertilizer.
- Feed them with fertilizer 1 to 2 times a month as per the instructions mentioned on the label.
- When your plant is blooming, then it is suggested not to fertilize the plant.
Potting and Repotting needs
- It is suggested to repot a plant when it overgrows its roots and comes out from the drainage holes.
- So, choose a container one size bigger than the older one.
- Also, when you repot the plant, then remove excess soil from the roots.
- Choose fresh potting mix in the pot with compost.
Wrapping up the context
In his guide, you come to know that Poinsettias are native to the Mexican plants and known as one of the short-day plants that tend to change their colors at night.
As you know when the winters arrive, we begin to plant those varieties that add value and color to the home garden like Christmas trees, but there is no longer just like the Poinsettias. It is like those house plans that will look amazing in your home garden by adding their presence to your collection.
Thanks for reading! Happy gardening!