15+ Stunning Border Plants for Attractive Lawns 2024
Hey folks!! Welcome back!!
Gardening is a big field when you look all around your garden, so with this thought, I am thinking of seeking your attention towards growing stunning border plants for attractive lawns. It is your choice if you want to make the edges of the garden aesthetic, dramatic, or charming.
Border plants will not only provide texture to the whole area but also add beauty and grace to your plants. It will suit the best plants for walkways and driveways. There are various border plants for attractive lawns named catmint, lavender, astilbe, hosta, verbena, boxwood, and many more explained in this guide.
So, let’s get started to know more about the best border plants so that your garden area looks more attractive.
Border Plants for Attractive Lawns
As mentioned, there are numerous border plants for attractive lawns and some of them are explained beautifully below. So, have a look at all the segments for proper understanding:
- Monkey grass
- Scotch moss
- Moss phlox
- Perennial geranium
Let’s get started to know more about them in detail so that you can grow the best border plants for attractive lawns:
- Catmint is one of the stunning border plants for attractive lawns that is scientifically known as Nepeta faassenii.
- It tends to produce green-colored foliage that produces a mint fragrance in the plant. Its USDA growing zone is 4 to 9.
- Catmint is a plant that can be grown in all conditions and is loved by pollinators. It will make the border area more beautiful with its large flowers when you will grow them in bulk.
- So, grow catmint as border plants and fill the area with its gracious purplish-colored blooms that you will enjoy in its season.
- What about lavender trees? Have you grown it or thinking of growing this in your small garden as border plants? It will cherish you with its amazing shape and foliage.
- It is an ornamental plant and can replace the silver birches or even leopard trees in your garden with its amazing presence.
- It is scientifically known as Heteropyxis natalensis and is a slow grower. You will find this variety in the hilly areas as they are grown more in those areas.
- Growing this variety as the Border plants for Attractive Lawns would be appreciable as it will show you its magic.
- It is another variety of best border plants for attractive lawns that are even known as summer snapdragon.
- Being an annual plant it can bear the lack of water and even grow well in the heat all long in the summer.
- You can try to grow its other varieties like Angelmist dark plum or archangel dark purple which are famous ones.
- To provide a more stunning look to your border area, you can grow them in thrifts of several plants.
- One of the Stunning Border plants for Attractive Lawns is known as Astilbe, scientifically known as Arendsii ‘Fanal’.
- It produces blooms that come in shades of white, dark purple, etc. that cherish your mind.
- This plant will grow best in shady areas and feed them with sunlight for about 1-2 hours a day.
- Its feathery flowers will create a fantastic look as the border plant so provide your plant with good fertilizer that will keep the soil well-drained.
- Pruning of the plant can be done at the time of spring but do not pinch its flowers at that time.
- Daylily is Everyone’s favorite choice because of its easy maintenance. Its world is too big as it is a creative plant.
- The reason behind its easy-to-care nature is the icing on the cake. It is scientifically known as Hemerocallis sp. It is one of the Stunning Border plants for Attractive Lawns.
- They tend to bloom at the time of late spring if you plan to create a lilies garden as it will bloom all around in the spring.
- You will observe the new blooms every day as they try to replace the old and dull ones from the plant.
- It is another variety of Border plants for Attractive Lawns that can be grown easily in your home garden as it will add a magical look to your area with its grass.
- Folks, its foliage will stand great in your yard as borders and add a bushy look to it as an edging plant.
- Also, this plant helps in preventing erosion in the garden and is one of the herbaceous perennials.
- It will feed you with its amazing blooms at the time of late summer till early fall with lavender textured blooms.
- Monkey grass is also one of the stunning border plants for attractive Lawns. It will feed you with its grass-like leaves that will look amazing at the borders.
- It will grow as a perennial in zones 5 to 10 and will attain a height of 12”.
- It tends to produce tall and purplish colored flowers, spikes at the time of summer.
- It is one of the low-maintenance plants that does not ask for much but partial shade or full sunlight for its growth.
Heuchera (The Coral Bell)
- Another variety of Border plants for Attractive Lawns is Heuchera which is versatile. It is a perennial and it tends to grow very well in the low sunlight or no sunlight.
- If you are feeding your plant with a good amount of water, then it is not important to provide it with sunlight.
- Feed your plant with clayey soil and let it remain moist but not overwet.
- Lastly, it is important to choose the right variety of coral bells which depends on the area you are living in.
“If you look the right way, you can see that the whole world is a garden.”– Frances Hodgson Burnett
- Verbena comes in a variety of best border plants for attractive lawns. One of the favorites is the verbena which is loved by everyone.
- Its blooms will cherish you with its colored flowers that come in shades of pink, purple, white, red, etc.
- You should be happy to know that this plant will bloom long in the season which will attract numerous pollinators towards them.
- Being a low-growing stem it would suit best as your border plants for making your garden more attractive.
- What about scotch moss? Have you ever heard of this plant being grown as border plant? If yes, then you are going great but if not then you should grow this plant as it is one of the best border plants for an attractive lawn.
- It will add color and texture to your area by its amazing nature. It will not grow as taller plants, but adding the short ground cover would be served best.
- Provide your plant with a good amount of warm temperature so that it thrives well in moist conditions.
- Its USDA growing zones are 3-9. Do not provide them with much shade as it is not good for their growth.
Moss Phlox (Phlox subulata)
- One of the best Border plants for Attractive Lawn is the Moss Phlox which is scientifically known as Phlox subulata.
- It tends to produce star-structured flowers that come in varieties of shades of pink, blue, purple, white, etc. that look attractive.
- This plant tends to grow 3 to 6 inches tall in size which covers the growing level with its vigorous growth that looks moss-like.
- When the plant is not in its bloom period, it also adds so much to your garden area by its presence and rich-colored vibe.
- And when it blooms, it looks fantastic as it shows amazing colorful looks.
- Hostas are the best choice for Border plants for Attractive Lawn to Grow. Its leaves come in various sizes, colors, shapes, etc.
- So, it depends on you to choose the variety you want for your home garden as when growing together, they show you the dramatic look.
- It tends to cherish you with its blooms that come in shades of white, and lavender at the time of mid-summer till fall.
- The plant needs well-drained soil for its growth. It will grow about 3 feet high in the hardiness zones of 4 to 9.
- Impatiens are the other variety that falls in the stunning border plants for attractive lawns. They are the simplest annuals that can be grown by you in your home garden.
- They will cherish you with their mesmerizing colors especially when they are grown in the containers.
- But they will also do wonders when grown as border plants. They require shade and sunlight as well for their growth.
- Some of its varieties are even disease resistant and every variety needs a good amount of water frequently.
- Perennial geranium is also considered one of the best border plants for attractive lawns and why not? Its beauty will add a great texture to the area.
- You might have grown annually in your home garden, but this perennial geranium is the best for your border plants.
- It will produce beak-like fruits before producing flowers in the plant and because of this, it is known as a cranesbill.
- So, this appealing plant will be a great choice for your garden area just make sure to provide them with a good amount of full sun.
- As you are looking for Border plants for Attractive lawns, why not choose the boxwood for your area? It would be a great choice for your area.
- It will stand out great in your garden with its geometric forms after getting pruned.
- Also, if you do not prune off the plant, then it will look great and attain its natural shape and size. It is scientifically known as Buxus selections.
- You can opt for this plant either for informal gardens or formal ones but it will grow very dense and cherish you with its efforts.
Wrapping up the context
In this guide, you come to know that Border plants will not only provide texture to the whole area but also add beauty and grace to your plants. It will suit the best plants for walkways and driveways.
There are various border plants for attractive lawns named catmint, lavender, astilbe, hosta, verbena, boxwood, and many more explained in this guide. So, read the whole guide carefully for its proper understanding.
Thanks for reading! Happy Gardening!