10 Best Species of Daisies to Grow in your home garden
Hey folks!! Welcome back!!
Today I am here with a stunning guide for you all that will make your garden area more dramatic and magical. Adding Daisies in the garden area would be a great choice.
Daisies are one of the popular choices for garden areas because of their bright color, easy-to-grow nature, and mesmerizing flowers. There are the best Species of Daisies to Grow in your home garden which will be explained below.
The definition of daisy can’t be defined in words as there are multiple options available in the market. So, as you know There are various varieties of daisies, so it would be a tough task to choose the best one for you.
Let’s begin this guide to know the Best Species of Daisies to Grow in your home garden.
What Are Daisies?
Daisies are one of those species of flowering plants that belong to the Asteraceae family which is also known as the sunflower, Daisy family, aster.
They are native to Africa, North America, and Europe. The term “daisy” originated from the old English word “dæges-eage”, which means Day’s eye. It is because the flowers of daisies tend to open at the time of dawn.
Tips to plant daisies
1. Firstly, you can put the daisies under direct sunlight.
2. Feed them with high organic matter rich in nutrients and well-drained soil.
3. Provide your daisies with some space to grow.
4. You have to water the daisies at the base level about 1 time in a week.
5. Lastly, adding mulch to provide nutrients to the plant would be a good option.
Best Species of Daisies to Grow in your home garden
Below is the list of the best species of daisies to grow in your home garden:
- Painted Daisy
- English Daisy
- Blue- Eyed African Daisy
- Shasta Daisy
- Swan River Daisy
- Marguerite Daisy
- Purple Coneflower
- Gloriosa Daisy
- Oxeye Daisy
- Montauk Daisy
Let’s know about them in detail:
Painted Daisy(Tanacetum coccineum)
- Painted Daisy is one of the variants of the best species of daisies to grow in your home garden. Hardiness zone is 3 to 7.
- You will observe its blossom in the shade of dawn and dusk like yellow, red, white, pink violet. It tends to repel the pests from the plant itself.
- This plant can thrive well in poorly drained soil, bright, sunlight, or partial shade and a good amount of drainage.
- When you grow this daisy as a perennial, then it will spread around 18- 24 inches.
English Daisy (Bellis perennis)
- The English Daisy is one of the best Species of Daisies that has earned a reputation for its nature as a weed, but also it is known as invasive in a few areas.
- It tends to produce flowers with white color and yellow color at the center, though it has various cultivars like Galaxy Red which is semi-double and has button-shaped flowers.
- They are grown as biennials in hot areas and annuals in cool areas. it is scientifically known as Bellis perennis.
- It is one of the low-growing daisies, which makes excellent ground showy plants.
Blue-Eyed African Daisy(Arctotis venusta)
- This daisy is one of the other variants of the best species of daisies to grow as it tends to produce white color blooms that are filled with blue color at its center.
- Its name is blue-eyed African Daisy because of its bright blue-colored origin at the center of the flower.
- You will observe the flower buds at the time of day when they will be opened fully when they receive sunlight.
- So, adding this Daisy to your home garden would be a gerat choice as they are low-maintenance daisies that can bear the dry situations in the plant.
“Daisies that bring you joy are better than roses that bring you sorrow.”― Matshona Dhliwayo
Shasta Daisy (Leucanthemum x superbum)
- This type of daisy got its name from the white snow of Mount Shasta in California.
- It has many cultivars that tend to help Gardners in making different magical looks for flower borders.
- This daisy shows you the bloom all along in the season and cherishes you with its benefits, and at the time of June and July, it shows you a magical Look.
- Do not overwater the daisy as it does not like to remain wet.
Swan River Daisy (Brachyscome iberidifolia)
- Another variant of the best species of daisies to grow in your home garden is the Swan River daisy which is a perennial from Australia that tends to grow in warm weather conditions
- Its flowers are stunning and even look great with other plants making your plant garden area attractive.
- Add the time of summer till fall it produces blue-yellow, white lavender colored Blooms.
Marguerite Daisy (Argyranthemum frutescens)
- It is one of the best Species of Daisies also known as the cobbitty daisy which makes the garden area unique with its stunning flowers.
- It tends to thrive in zones 8 to 10 as a perennial. It is scientifically known as Argyranthemum frutescens.
- Feed your daisy with a sufficient temperature of below 75 degrees Fahrenheit so that the plant thrives well.
- Also, it is native to the Canary Islands and attains a height of 2 to 3 feet high.
Purple Coneflower(Echinacea purpurea)
- Purple coneflower is a type of daisy that falls under the best Species of Daisies and is even used for medicinal purposes in some areas.
- You have to provide them with Well-drained soil to medium-dry soil so that this daisy grow well.
- It is scientifically known as Echinacea purpurea and is native to the Eastern US.
- It tends to grow about 5 feet high and its name originated from the Greek word echinos signifies hedgehog.
Gloriosa Daisy (Rudbeckia hirta)
- Another variant of the best species of daisies to grow in your home garden is the gloriosa daisy which is known specifically as Rudbeckia hirta.
- It is grown as an annual or even as a perennial which will make the garden queen in your home.
- Feed your plant with a sufficient amount of sunlight, water, and partial shade for its growth.
- Also, it is loved by various people because it is one of the pollinator-friendly plants and it tends to self-seed which is a gerat feature of this daisy.
Oxeye Daisy (Leucanthemum vulgare)
- The oxeye daisy is one of the best Species of Daisies that is native to Europe. This type of daisy tends to spread fast which makes it a good repellent for pests.
- They will provide you with blooms about for 3 months which will cherish your mind.
- You can add them to your cottage garden or small garden which is suitable for you.
- Feed them with full sunlight for their growth. You will see it’s height about 1 to 3 feet tall.
Montauk Daisy(Nipponanthemum nipponicum)
- Last, but not least one of the best species of daisies to plant in your home garden is the Montauk daisy which is scientifically known as Nipponanthemum nipponicum.
- This daisy is native to Japan and tends to grow in full sunlight and well-drained soil for its growth.
- It is a tall plant that will begin to lose its base-level leaves with time.
- It is loved by people because it is beautiful and also being resistant to Pests.
Wrapping up the context
In this guide, you come to know that Adding Daisies in the garden area would be a great choice. Daisies are one of the popular choices for garden areas because of their bright color, easy-to-grow nature, and mesmerizing flowers.
There are the best Species of Daisies to Grow in your home garden. The definition of daisy can’t be defined in words as there are multiple options available in the market. So, as you know There are various varieties of daisies, so it would be a tough task to choose the best one for you. So, read the whole guide carefully.
Thanks for reading! Happy gardening!