Pothos Toxicity: Everything You Need to Know
Growing Pothos will fill your area with its glossy texture leaves, but the tiny crystals present in all its parts contain toxic calcium oxalate that shows the pothos toxicity. Hey folks! I am Anna Scott, a Gardener by heart and Profession, started my Journey 15 years ago and Now I am teaching other gardeners as well to achieve their goals.
Pothos is a gorgeous evergreen plant that flowers in shades of white yellow or cream. It belongs to the Arum family. Pothos are also famous for their ability to grow well in low climatic conditions and purify the air. Pothos are poisonous but adorable plants. They are toxic for adults, pets, and children as well.
Pothos leaves contain the component named calcium oxalate whose crystals are negative and sharp. If any part of this variety will be ingested, then you have to get proper guidance from your doctor or veterinarian for the treatment. So let’s get started to know about the pothos toxicity in detail.
Is the Pothos Poisonous or Toxic?
Pothos plant is an adored choice of gardeners for indoor decoration. It produces glossy texture leaves in the plant. This variety tends to contain tiny crystals that are made up of calcium oxalate.
These crystals are very sharp and can even harm you by breaking the skin. It will not be comfortable for the people whosoever will come in contact with it.
Also, if you ingest it, then will harm your mouth and the digestive system. So, it is suggested not to ingest this unsoluble liquid. Moreover, you have to keep the children and pets away from the pothos as they contain poisonous properties.
Why Are Pothos Poisonous?
You might be wondering why are pothos poisonous, but not anymore as I am here to clear your doubts. The main reason behind the poisonous of the pothos plant is the component available in the plant named calcium oxalate crystals that are insoluble.
This crystal is in the leaves and stems of this plant and if these crystals, will break then it will cause irritation to the skin. If you touch it more. If you irritate, then it will cause issues in the mouth and the digestive system.
In a few cases, there will be swelling if you ingest any part of this plant which will make it difficult for you to breathe. Also, all the parts of this variety are toxic to ingest. So, be cautious while planting this variety and keep it away from children and pets.
There is an emergency number of the poison center at 1800-222-1222 so you can call them if there is any case of an accident injection. They will guide you.
Symptoms Of Pothos Poison
Are you sure if the pothos have poisoned you or any of your friends? It is so as You need to understand the symptoms of the pothos poison first. As you know if you come in contact with the calcium oxalate crystals then you will experience skin or eye irritation. What makes it more poisonous and dangerous is if you adjust the plant, it will cause various issues like:
- Stomach ache
- Oral Irritation
- Sensations in the mouth
- Burning issues in the tongue and throat
- Excessive Drooling
Pro tip: If it is extreme, then there will be issues like breathing and swallowing.
If your pet has ingested it, then it will cause drooling and vomiting in the pets and it is one of the common signs of pothos posion. Some of the other symptoms include:
- Oral pain
- Decreased appetite
- Mouth pawing behavior
Note: In a few cases, if the effect of the poison is more, then it can cause Seizures and coma. Whereas in pets like cats, and dogs, it will occur renal or hepatic failure.
Last, but not least if you find out that your pet has consumed it, then you have to call the animal poison control as soon as possible. It will prevent the poison in your plant and keep the pothos away from the pets and children so that they do not get harmed.
How To Prevent Pothos Toxicity?
Finally, the important part of this guide is here. Now, you will coem to know about the preventive measures of pothos toxicity to follow. At first, you can wear protective glasses and gloves while you handle the pothos. It will prevent contact with the toxicity of pothos.
Also, do not touch your face including your eyes when you are handling these plants. Moreover, if there are pets or children in your home, then you have to keep them away from the pothos.
One of the preventive measures is that you can grow them indoors. But this plant will not grow. If you plant it under direct sunlight (Tip: It likes bright indirect light).
Skin irritation will be caused if you come in contact with the plant, but if it worsens then you have to contact the doctor. If you have ingested it accidentally, then you have to call the position control center.
Is the Pothos Plant Toxic To Humans?
Besides its toxicity, pothos are a beautiful addition to a garden. Now the question comes if it is harmful to humans or not. so the answer is yes both those are toxic plants for humans also.
The element present in its leaves in stems named calcium oxalate crystals will not only irritate the eyes but also swell the mouth. Moreover, if you consume more of this plant, then it will lead to breathing issues.
However, they are toxic, but not too fatal to humans. Keeping this plant away from the reach of the children and pets will help you in preventing future accidents.
Is Pothos Poisonous To Reptiles?
If you are a pet reptile lover, then be cautious as the pothos are toxic for your plant. If they are taking a small bite, then it will not harm them, but it will make the reptiles eat the pothos more frequently. It will cause toxicity in the reptiles.
The problem will begin to happen if the reptiles will develop a taste for this plant. It is because it will let them eat the pothos more frequently which is not good for the health of the reptiles.
By consuming the pothos more frequently, you are inviting long-term health issues for your pets. So to keep your plant healthy, you have to keep the plant at such a distance that the pets do not reach the plant and have its bite.
Wrapping up the context
In this guide, you come to know that Pothos is a gorgeous evergreen plant that flowers in shades of white yellow, or cream. It belongs to the Arum family. Pothos are also famous for their ability to grow well in low climatic conditions and purify the air.
Pothos are poisonous but adorable plants. They are toxic for adults, pets, and children as well. Pothos leaves contain the component named calcium oxalate whose crystals are negative and sharp. If any part of this variety will be ingested, then you have to get proper guidance from your doctor or veterinarian for the treatment.
I hope you read this guide properly to prevent the toxicity of pothos in your yard. I will come back with another informative guide for you soon, so stay connected for future updates.
Thanks for reading! Happy Gardening!
What part of Pothos is toxic?
You will be amazed to know that all the parts of this variety contain sharp calcium crystals. By consuming those crystals, the plant becomes more toxic to the individuals. It can cause pain in the lips, mouth, throat, tongue, etc.
Is pothos toxic to the skin?
Yes, pothos are toxic to the skin if you ingest them in large quantities. The component present in it named calcium oxalate tends to harm the skin by irritating it. Its sap will cause harm if you ingest it, by burning the mouth.