How to Grow & Care for Philodendron Squamiferum ‘Hairy Philo’ (2023)
Hey folks! Welcome back!
Do you want to grow one of the best ornamental foliage plants that belong to the philodendron family? If yes, then you are at the right place. Philodendron Squamiferum ‘Hairy Philo’ is one of those varieties that is native to the rainforest of Central America, Brazil, etc. It is known for its peak foliage and red-brown stems that attract everyone’s attention towards them.
Philodendron Squamiferum is grown by farmers as a houseplant but you will be happy to know that it also does wonders when grown outdoors. So without wasting time let’s know how to grow one of the easiest plants in your home garden named Philodendron Squamiferum ‘Hairy Philo’.
|Red Bristle Philodendron, Hairy Philodendron
|Partial shade; Bright, indirect light
|Coarser, lighter, well-drained, rich in organic matter
|Best done in spring or fall
|Up to 18 inches in length
|Every May to July, once a year
How to grow Philodendron Squamiferum ‘Hairy Philo’?
Philodendron Squamiferum ‘Hairy Philo’ is an easy-growing plant that does not require much effort. All you need is to follow the appropriate steps. So, for that, we are here. We will grow this plant through Stem Cuttings:
Step 1– First, you have to collect your materials like scissors, containers, water, old plants, etc.
Step 2- Take a stem from the mother plant including 2-3 leaves on it.
Step 3– Additionally, you can dip the cuttings in the water and add some fertilizer to it.
Step 4- Then, after observing its growth at 2 inches, it’s time to plant it.
Step 5– Take a good container and add well-drained soil to it and add sprouts to it.
Step 6- Do not cover them wholly, place them in a warm place to grow well.
Step 7– East-facing window would be good for them and when they grow more, you can put them in bright but indirect sunlight.
How to care for Philodendron Squamiferum ‘Hairy Philo’?
It is not difficult to maintain the plant’s growth. You have to put some effort in by providing your plant with sufficient sunlight, well-drained soil, and a good level of humidity so that it grows well.
- Philodendron Squamiferum ‘Hairy Philo’ will thrive well if you provide it with bright indirect light.
- Make sure you are not exposing your plant to the full sun as it can harm the plant’s growth.
- When you place the plant outdoors, you have to keep it under the tree’s canopy so that it can receive shade and be away from the full sun.
- Less supply of sunlight will lead the plant to make its leaves dull and pale which is not a good sign for the plant.
- Philodendron Squamiferum plant likes to get watered, especially in the time of summer because there is a hot temperature so you have to feed them with water once time in a week.
- During winter, you can extend the watering schedule to one time after 12 days.
- Being a plant that does not like to be overwatered. Make sure you are not giving it water in excess as it can cause root rot in the plant.
- So you have to check the moisture of the soil by inserting a finger in the soil about an inch and if it feels dry, then is the right time to water the plant.
Humidity and Temperature needs
- The ideal temperature range for the Philodendron Squamiferum plant lies between 50°F to 77°F (10°C to 25°C).
- This plant tends to grow in the warm temperatures needed for its growth.
- So, it is suggested to keep your plants away from the cold drafts or freezing weather.
- They like to grow in moist and high levels of humidity areas. So, provide it with good humidity for its growth.
- The best humidity level for this plant is about 60% or even more than that.
- To increase the humidity in the plant, you can invest in a small humidifier and group all the plants together so that the humidity increases the plant.
- You have to use sandy soil for the Philodendron Squamiferum plant that should be mixed with sphagnum moss or peat moss as it tends to retain the water in the plant and keep the soil well drained.
- The ideal pH ratio for this plant is 5.6 to 6.5 which is slightly to moderate acidic.
- Organic matter helps the plant to receive plenty of nutrients for its growth.
- Also, you can make use of a soil acidifier to adjust the pH level of the soil.
- Fertilizer is needed by every plant so that the plant grows at a fast pace and the same is the case with this plant.
- When you feed fertilizer to this plant, you have to make sure to dilute the mixture to its half strength by mixing water in it so that there is no fertilizer burn in the plant.
- Fertilize the plant about one time in a month when the plant is actively growing, but make sure not to do it at the time of winter.
- You have to apply an equal fertilizer ratio that is nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium should be in an equal ratio.
Potting and Repotting needs
- This plant likes to be repotted after the span of every two years when the plant’s size grows double its growth.
- You will observe the clear indication of repotting the plant when the roots are overgrown and coming out from the drainage holes, then is the right time to repot the plant.
- You have to select the power that is 2 inches bigger than the previous pot so that the roots feel comfortable and breathe properly for its growth.
- Choose a fresh potting mix for your plant and you have to repot the plant at the time of late spring or early summer.
- Philodendron Squamiferum ‘Hairy Philo’ is not very demanding when it comes to pruning this plant. It does not ask for regular pruning as the plant grows slowly.
- You have to remove the yellow and diseased leaves from the plant so that the negative energy stays away from the healthy leaves and your plant grows healthy.
- To maintain hygiene in the plant, you have to make use of sharp and sterilized scissors.
- Pruning is also done to keep the plant pest-free and disease-free.
Wrapping up the context
In this guide, you come to know about one of the best plants to grow in your home garden. Folks, I am happy that you read the full guide and finally know the process of growing Philodendron Squamiferum ‘Hairy Philo’ in your home garden.
Still, if there remain any queries or doubts, then you can let me know about it or you can read the guide again to understand the process. I hope you are doing great in your gardening field. So, see you in the next guide till then safe gardening.
Thanks for reading! Happy gardening!