How to Grow & Care for Philodendron Billietiae ‘Billie’ (2023)
I hope you are doing great in your gardening field. Today I am here to share the growing and caring guide of philodendron verity named Philodendron Billietiae ‘Billie’ with you all.
Philodendron Billietiae ‘Billie’ is one of the houseplants that tend to produce attractive leaves that are Spade structured. You need to maintain the plant’s growth by feeding it with a good amount of sunlight, water, humidity, temperature, seasonal pruning, etc.
So, let’s get started to know more about the guide of Philodendron Billietiae ‘Billie’.
|Billie and Philidor, Billie
|Bright indirect light
|Rich, quick-draining, loamy
|Water if the top inch of soil is dry
|To remove dead leaves
|36 inches as a houseplant
|Rarely flowers indoors
How to grow Philodendron Billietiae ‘Billie’?
Philodendron Billietiae ‘Billie’ is an easy-growing plant that does not require much effort. All you need is to follow the appropriate steps. So, for that, we are here. We will grow this plant through Stem cuttings:
Step 1– First, you have to collect your materials like scissors, containers, water, old plants, etc.
Step 2- Take a stem from the mother plant including 2-3 leaves on it.
Step 3– Additionally, you can dip the cuttings in the water and add some fertilizer to it.
Step 4- Then, after observing its growth at 2 inches, it’s time to plant it.
Step 5– Take a good container and add well-drained soil to it and add sprouts to it.
Step 6- Do not cover them wholly, place them in a warm place to grow well.
Step 7– East-facing window would be good for them and when they grow more, you can put them in bright but indirect sunlight.
How to care for Philodendron Billietiae ‘Billie’?
Growing a plant is easy but maintaining it is somehow a difficult one. But not anymore as we are here for you. Keep your plant healthy with the help of the below caring tips.
Let’s see some of the caring tips of Philodendron Billietiae:
- Humidity and Temperature
- Potting and Repotting
Let’s know about them in detail:
- Sunlight required by the Philodendron Billietiae plant is bright, but indirect sunlight that lies between 10,000 to 20,000 lux.
- They tend to receive the sunlight that passes through the tree’s canopy touch the plant’s leaves and cherish it.
- You can provide them with full sun sometimes in winter but not in the time of summer, so sometimes it is suggested to use a plant light for your plants.
- Also, you can place your plant near the east-facing window or north-facing window so that the plant gives sufficient sunlight when planted indoors.
- Philodendron Billietiae likes to grow in soil that has a good amount of moisture in it, so it is important to keep watering the plant so that it remains moist.
- So, you have to follow the general rule of thumb which is to water the plant when the soil is dry, so that there occurs no root rot in the plant as it causes damage in the plant.
- Insert your finger inside the soil about 1 inch deep to check its moisture and if it feels dry, then you have to water the plant.
- You can make use of distilled water so that there is no infection in the plant and let the soil absorb the water, then only water it.
Humidity and Temperature needs
- Philodendron Billietiae tends to thrive well if you provide it with a good temperature range that lies between 65 to 80ºF (18 to 27ºC).
- Make sure to keep your plant away from the cold drafts as it can kill the plant.
- The ideal level of humidity for these plants is about 60 to 80%. They dislike the low-humid areas.
- To increase the humidity in the plants, you have to mist the plants with water so that the plants grow well.
- But make sure not to keep the plant wet as it will cause fungal infection in the plant, which is not a good sign for the plant
- For increasing humidity, you can make use of a pebble tray filled with water and keep it under the pot so that it enhances the humidity in the plant.
- The ideal pH level for the Philodendron Billietiae plant lies between 6.1 to 7.3 which is slightly acidic to neutral.
- Choose a soil that tends to drain the excess water and also retain the moisture in the soil, so choose a well-draining soil.
- Most people tend to use peat moss for the plant as it is one of the best soils that can retain moisture.
- Also, you can try to make your soil mix by adding equal parts of the compost, perlite, peat moss, potting mix, orchid bark, etc. by combining all of it.
- The fertilizer requirement of every plant differs from each other. Philodendron Billietiae will best suit the fertilizer ratio of 3-1-2.
- Make sure to feed your plant with fertilizer at the time of spring and summer only.
- You can make use of organic fertilizers as the chemical one will harm the plant.
- Making use of liquid fish fertilizer on the soil surface will add nutrients to the plant and make it grow at a faster pace.
- Also, you have to dilute the mixture to its half strength so that there are no excess fertilizer burns in the plant.
Potting and Repotting needs
- Philodendron Billietiae likes to be repotted after the span of every 2 years so that the roots get space to grow the healthy plant.
- Repotting of a plant is done when the roots are overgrown and it peeps out from the drainage holes, it shows the sign of overgrowth and the right to repot a plant.
- You have to choose one inch bigger pot than the previous one for your plant and also a fresh potting mix.
- At the time of repotting, you have to remove the excess soil from the roots and choose a pot that has good drainage holes.
- Pruning is needed by every plant so that it thrives well but this much is not that demanding when it comes to pruning off the plants.
- The main motive behind the pruning of the plant is to remove all the dead and affected leaves from the plant so that there is no infection in the plant.
- You have to cut off its leaf stem from the base and close to its main stem.
- Also, pruning plants is a good exercise for the plants as it helps the plant to regain its size and shape.
- Make sure not to prune off the plant more than 1/3rd of its foliage. Prune the plant by making use of sharp and sterilized scissors.
Wrapping up the context
Folks, I am happy that you read the full guide and finally know the process to grow your Philodendron Billietiae ‘Billie’ in your home garden.
Still, if there remain any queries or doubts, then you can let me know about it or you can read the guide again to understand the process.
I hope you are doing great in your gardening field. So, see you in the next guide till then safe gardening.
Thanks for reading! Happy gardening!