How to make Tomato Plants Grow Faster: 5+ Easiest Tips
Hey folks! I’m Anna Scott, a Gardener by heart and Profession, started my Journey 15 years ago and Now I am teaching other gardeners as well to achieve their goals.
I hope you are doing great in your gardening field. You might have grown tomatoes in your backyard as it is the most appreciable crop in the world that is grown by almost every farmer in his yard. Some people face issues with the yield of tomatoes. It is important to have a good yield harvest of tomatoes, for this, you need to be aware of some of the ways to make tomato plants grow faster.
Nothing is more juicy and fruitful than the fresh and natural tomatoes grown in your home garden. You can preserve the tomatoes in various ways and you can use them in your way like in salads etc.
So, let’s move forward to learn more about the easiest tips to make tomato plants grow faster.
Factors that help tomato plants grow faster
It is important to know about the factors that will help tomato plants grow faster. So, I am here to let you know about those factors:
One of the things to keep in mind is the climate of the area where you have grown the tomatoes. They like to grow in the cold areas and temperature range that lies between 65 to 75 °F.
Tomatoes prefer to grow in the most that are rich in minerals. Also, providing them with well-drained soil will help the plant to grow well. The ideal pH level for the tomato plant is about 5.5 to 6.8.
Proper feeding of water is important for the plants to grow well. When you feed your plants with less water it will cause root rot in the plant.
So, you have to check the moisture of the soil by inserting the finger in the soil as if it feels dry, then you have to water the plant. When you grow tomatoes in the pot, they require more water as compared to the in-ground plants.
Being sun-adored plants, these plants do much better when they are in contact with the sunlight for about 6 to 8 hours a day.
Also, tomato plants that are grown indoors, need sunlight so you have to keep them near a sunny window so that they receive plenty of sunlight. And if you provide them with artificial sunlight then keep in mind that it should be for 16 hours at least.
What about the space required by the tomato plants? They require a good distance to groe well when you plant them together or close, then it causes an issue in the plant which will not circulate the air in the plants.
So, you have to check the catalog to see the instructions for planting the tomato plants. You have to keep the plants 2 feet apart from each other for their well-being.
Trellis will help the plant by giving its support. When the plants become overburdened they lean over and touch the feet of the ground.
So, you have to provide them with some support so that they get elevated from the ground and receive a good amount of sunlight to grow well.
As you know, Companion planting helps in various ways and one of them is that it will help the tomato plants grow faster And keep the pests away from the plant.
Some of the best tomato companion plants are beans, mint, parsley, cucumber, garlic, etc. which will help to remove the pests from the garden area.
Easiest Tips to Make Tomato Plants Grow Faster
So, finally, the most awaited part is here. Now you will come to know about the easiest tips to make tomato plants grow faster. They are as follows:
- Keep the soil warm
- Protection from pests
- Fertilization is important
- Plant the seedlings in the right spot
- Plant its early maturing varieties
So, are you ready to know about them in more detail? If yes, then have a look at the following points:
Keep the soil warm
- One of the best things that can be done to make tomato plants grow faster is to keep the soil warm in the plant.
- Temperature plays an important role when it comes to harvesting the plant, the warmer the soil, the more plants will be grown.
- They will grow much better at the time of night when the temperature is about 50 degrees Fahrenheit. The ideal temperature range in the daytime for these plants is 70 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The temperature of the soil can be controlled as compared to the normal outside temperature. For checking the soil temperature, you can make use of a soil thermometer.
- Also, you can put straws near your plant so that the soil remains warm against the cold weather.
- It is suggested to use black plastic for heating the soil before you plant it so that it becomes warm.
Protection from pests
- One of the best ways to make tomato plants grow faster is to remove the pests from the plant, which means you have to protect your tomato plant from the pests.
- Harvesting of the plant will be delayed when the rabbits tend to eat the top of the tomato plant, so it becomes important for you to protect your plant from them.
- You can make use of insect netting or even chicken wire so that the pests or animals do not come to the garden area to harm your plants.
- Also, making use of fences, and barriers will help the plant to grow at a faster pace.
Fertilization is important
- As you know every plant needs to be fertilized for its growth, the same is the case with tomato plants. Fertilization will help the plants to grow at a faster pace.
- Like I fertilize my plant, you can do that also by adding compost to the soil and then adding slow-release fertilizer that is organic at the time when you transplant the plant.
- It will help the plant to gain nutrients and will grow at a faster pace than normal speed.
- So, it is important to fertilize the plant after every two weeks. Be cautious when choosing fertilizer as the fertilizer with a high level of nitrogen will not be safe for the plant.
Plant the seedlings in the right place
- To make tomato plants grow faster, you have to choose the right growing situations for them if plants will struggle, then they won’t be ready for harvest early.
- So, you have to keep in mind to provide your plant with sunlight for about 8 hours a day so that the plant grows well.
- The next thing is the type of soil you are choosing for your plant. You have to choose fertile and loamy soil for your plant, not sandy soil. So, choose well-drained soil for your plant.
- The ideal pH level for tomato plants is 6.0-6.8, so you have to choose the soil that has an ideal range of pH for the plant to grow faster.
Plant its early maturing varieties
- Every variety has its maturity period, so choosing the right one will benefit you. Its early maturity variety is Early girls that will be ready to harvest after the tenure of 57 days from transplanting them.
- It will help you in getting the desired results and harvest faster in its growing season.
- Also, its other varieties will be maturing fast like Jasper (60 days), Sun Gold (57 days), and Tidy Treats (60 days).
- So, choose to plant the best early maturing variety in your home garden.
How to Care for Tomato Plants to Grow Faster?
As I promised, I will mention the best caring tips to make tomato plants grow faster. So, here we are to learn about those caring tips:
- You have to remove the suckers(small shoots) from the plant as they will not provide energy to the plant.
- It is suggested to prune off the lower branches of the plant as it will be more prone to pests or diseases that harm the plant.
- You have to trim off the branches at the base level so that the airflow improves and the plant receives good sunlight.
- You have to provide your plant with a good amount of fertilizer that is balanced. Nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus should be equal for the tomato plants to grow faster.
- Keep in mind not to overfertilize the plant as it causes damage to the plant.
- You have to keep rotating your plant as it will receive sunlight at all angles. Especially when you place them in a sunny area.
- Provide a cage to your plants as their branches overgrow and make a huge plant. By using metal cages you can support your plant.
- It is important to pinch the top of the plant sometimes when the plant grows well and attains a good height. It will help the plan to emerge new growth of fruits in the plant.
- Also, you have to check for nutrients in the plant so that you come to knwo if the plant is receiving a good amount of nutrients or not.
- Last but not least, make sure to add compost to the soil as it will help in providing more nutrients to the tomato plants.
Wrapping up the context
In this guide, you come to know that Some people face issues with the yield of tomatoes. It is important to have a good yield harvest of tomatoes, for this, you need to be aware of some of the ways to make tomato plants grow faster.
Nothing is more juicy and fruitful than the fresh and natural tomatoes grown in your home garden. You can preserve the tomatoes in various ways and you can use them in your way like in salads etc, read the whole guide to understand how can you make tomato plants grow faster. Till then safe gardening.
Thanks for reading! Happy Gardening!