How to Grow & Care for Gynura Aurantiaca ‘Purple Passion’ (2023)
Hey folks!! welcome back!!
Do you know today I am going to tell you about the process of one of the best plants named purple velvet plant or purple passion plant? It is known for its magical beauty and is scientifically known as Gynura Aurantiaca.
Gynura Aurantiaca then produces dark green foliage that is covered with the little purple heroes, and you will be happy to know that when the sunlight reaches the plant, it cherishes you with its purplish glowing look.
So, Without wasting time, let’s know how to grow and care for this magical plant in detail.
|Purple Passion Houseplant, Purple Velvet, Velvet Plant
|Bright indirect sunlight; Partially shaded
|Rich in OM, quick-draining
|Water if the top inch of soil is dry
|Beginning of the growing season
|Can grow up to 6 feet tall
Growing Gynura Aurantiaca ‘Purple Passion’
Everyone wants to grow a beautiful plant in their home garden so that it attracts everyone’s attention. Let’s begin with the steps:
Step 1- First, you have to choose the cutting from the healthy parent plant.
Step 2- Cut it with the help of sterilized scissors.
Step 3– In a tray, you have to fill the potting mix that has been used in the parent plant and keep the leaf in it.
Step 4- Now, pat down the soil by watering the stem cutting.
Step 5- Use the plastic sheet to cover the tray so that moisture remains within.
Step 6- Then, after 2-3 weeks you will observe roots from the cuttings and after that, you have replanted them in their new home.
Step 7- Take a good container with more drainage holes, put it in the potting mix, and enjoy the benefits of your plant when it matures.
Caring for Gynura Aurantiaca ‘Purple Passion’
Caring for the Gynura Aurantiaca plant is not a tricky task. All you need is to maintain its fuzzy, purple foliage and that can be easily done with the help of this guide.
You have to provide bright indirect sunlight to the plant, regular water to the plant, a good level of humidity draining soil, etc. Below are the tips:
- Humidity and Temperature
- Potting and Repotting
Let’s know about them in detail:
- Sunlight is needed by every plant to grow well and maintain its growth and the same is the case with the Gynura Aurantiaca plant.
- This plant tends to grow in the bright indirect sunlight so for maintaining the beautiful colour of this plant, you have to feed it with plenty of indirect sunlight.
- Also, sometimes you place the plant inside as a house plant. At that time you have to place the plant near the east-facing window so that they can receive the morning sunshine.
- This plant does not like to receive less sunlight, rather the full sun can keep the color of its leaves bright.
- Consequently, it is suggested not to expose the plants to the full sun. As with time, its leaves can get harmed.
- Water needed by the Gynura Aurantiaca plant should be consistent as they do not like to remain watered for long as it causes root rot in the plant.
- The general rule of thumb for giving water to plants is once a week.
- You have to feed water to this plant at its base rather than pour it directly on the leaves.
- The water requirements of this plant can be easily known by checking the moisture of the soil. So when the soil is dry about an inch, then it is the right time to water the plant.
Humidity and Temperature needs
- The ideal level of humidity for the Gynura Aurantiaca plant lies between 40% to 60%. This plant requires a humidity level from medium to high.
- When you try to maintain the accurate humidity level in the plant, you are required to invest in a small humidifier or also spend your time misting the plants with water to increase the humidity.
- Now comes the temperature requirement of this plant. The ideal temperature range for this plant is about 60°F (15°C) or more than that.
- When you grow the plants outside at the time of winter, you are required to bring the plants inside so that the cold drafts or freezing does not harm the plants.
- Gynura Aurantiaca plant requires rich moist soil and well drained at the same time.
- Also, you can make use of your potting mix by adding two parts of peat moss or sphagnum moss and one part of sand to the soil mix which will make a great mixture.
- The ideal pH level for purple passion plants is slightly acidic which is about 6.1 to 6.5.
- You can make use of regular potting mix for plants that help them to drain well and also so that the plant grows easily.
- What about the fertilizer needs of the Gynura Aurantiaca plant? It requires fertilizers when the plant is actively growing in its growing season.
- You have to dilute the liquid fertilizer to its half-recommended strength so that the plant does not receive excess fertilizer as an excess of everything is bad.
- Feed them with the fertilizer once time in a month so that it grows vigorously and you enjoy its benefit at the time of summer.
- The ideal balanced fertilizer ratio for this plant is 10-10-10 or 20-20-20. So feeding fertilizer to the plant provides it with sufficient nutrients for its growth.
Potting and repotting needs
- Repotting of the Gynura Aurantiaca plant is suggested to be done at the time of spring.
- Being a fast-growing plant, it can come in contact with the root bound so you have to repot the plant when the roots are coming out of the drainage holes of the plant.
- Always try to choose a pot that is bigger about 2 inches than the previous board, so that the roots get extra space to breathe.
- You have to fill the New pot with fresh soil mix about half of the part and then place the plant gently in the center.
- After doing so, you have to put the remaining soil in the port and then water, the plant consistently so that it grows vigourously.
- Pruning of the Gynura Aurantiaca plant can be done when it is observed that there are leggy stems in the plant and a Messy appearance of the plant.
- With time the leaves can become yellow and Dull, which shows that the plant requires pruning so that all the dead and affected leaves from the plant get removed.
- You have to use sharp and sterilized scissors for pruning a plant so that there is no infection in the plant and the pests stay away from your magical plant.
- You have to make it a habit to cut off all the old leaves and stems from the plant so that new growth emerges in the plant and the plant remains disease and pests-free.
Wrapping up the context
Folks, I am happy that you read the full guide and finally know the process to grow your Gynura Aurantiaca ‘Purple Passion’ in your home garden.
Still, if there remain any queries or doubts, then you can let me know about it or you can read the guide again to understand the process. I hope you are doing great in your gardening field. So, see you in the next guide till then safe gardening.
Thanks for reading! Happy gardening!