Growing Sweet Potato vines in a hanging basket
Hey folks! Welcome back!
This article will be a guide for growing Sweet Potato vines in a hanging basket. Sweet potato vines can be a great choice for your hanging baskets in the garden. This plant is also propagated as a spiller plant. It spreads over the edges of the hanging basket.
Sweet potatoes are one of the most famous crops grown in the world. If you are thinking of adding this variety of crops to your home garden, then it’s a good decision. Yes, this plant can be grown easily. You can plant them in the container, hanging baskets, or in the ground directly.
- There are various shades available such as green, purple, etc. By growing them in the hanging basket you can place them in the places of your choice such as they can be placed at the entrance, on balconies, and many more places.
- They do well with their other companion plants that are hung in the baskets.
- Sweet potato vines can be grown in the full sun or shade but you need a hanging basket for the sun.
- This plant is also propagated as a spiller plant. It spreads over the edges of the hanging basket.
The sweet potato vines in the hanging basket look so good. So, let’s learn about the growing process of sweet potato vines.
|Sweet potato vine, ornamental sweet potato vine
|8–10 ft. long, 5–12 in. wide
|Central America, South America
What is a sweet potato vine?
Sweet potato vines are similar to sweet potatoes and are delicious vegetables. It has a sweet taste within. This food crop originated in South America and is grown by almost every farmer all over the world.
People get confused between the sweet potato and sweet potato vine, they are related to each other. Sweet potato vines give a great look to your home garden with their colorful leaves.
“He who plants a tree, plants a hope.”– By Lucy Larcom
There are various benefits of growing sweet potato vines:
- It helps in curing the brain’s health.
- It helps in treating cancer patients.
- It helps in reducing period cramps.
- It makes your hair and skin healthy.
- It helps in relieving constipation pain.
- It helps in decreasing the stress of an individual.
How to Grow Sweet Potato Vines From Seed?
If you know that you can grow sweet potato vines with the help of seed, then it’s great but if you do not know about it then you should know that it is the easier way to do so.
Though it is not easier as compared to growing this plant from cuttings, you can grow the sweet potato vine, if you’re not having the cutting from the seeds. Below are the steps to follow:
- At first, you have to place the seeds in lukewarm water so that the process of germination begins.
- You have to place them for about 12 hours.
- By making use of the seeds starting tray, you have to pour over the seeds in the tray a few inches away from each other.
- Make use of a soil mixture so that you can cover your seed starting tray and keep the tray warm.
- You have to keep misting the soil so that the soil remains moist and the roots begin to grow.
- You have to cover it with the help of a plastic bag so that the level of humidity increases in the plant.
- You have to keep the container in direct sunlight after the seedlings begin to emerge properly.
- You have to transplant the plant to its new location, whether you are planning to grow it in the container or garden Bed.
Growing Sweet Potato vines in a hanging basket
Sweet potato vines can be a great addition to your garden. So, let’s learn about the process of growing sweet potato vines in a hanging basket. Follow the below steps:
Step 1- Firstly, you have to choose a basket or container with good drainage holes.
Step 2– You have to fill your basket with the potting mix at least half of it.
Step 3- Then you are required to put the sweet potatoes in the soil.
Step 4- Provide them so light and also give them lukewarm water so that the soil remains moist.
Step 5- Choose a location for your basket where it will receive 4 hours of sunlight.
Step 6- You can find changes after some weeks, and then you can transplant your sweet potato vines as per your choice.
Sweet Potato Vine Care
Below are the caring tips for your plant that you have to follow so that the plant grows at its best. They are as follows:
- Sunlight is needed by the plant to retain its green color pigmentation in the leaves of the plant.
- Provide this plant with sunlight to grow well, though they can grow in partial shade.
- The leaves of the plant will be great in texture if the sunlight is reaching the plants.
- What about the soil requirements of these plants? This plant will grow well in the well-drained and moist soil.
- When the plant receives organic matter then the plant grows healthy.
- If the soil becomes more wet, then you will see that the plant is suffering from root rot.
- You have to make use of those containers that have drainage holes.
- Sweet potato vines are one of the plants that tend to thrive in well-drained soil, so frequent watering is important.
- Though it is a drought-tolerant plant, the plant with grow well with regular watering.
- You have to keep the soil moist as these plants will not grow best in the waterlogged soil.
- You will observe that the plant’s leaves will wilt when the plant is in need of water.
Temperature and Humidity needs
- The Temperature need of this plant is not much but they require a good amount of heat to grow well.
- When the climate is too hot outside, then the plant will grow best in the shade.
- The ideal range of temperature for these plants is 75 degrees Fahrenheit.
- It will not grow in the frost, so provide your plant with good humid conditions.
- Fertilizer is required by the plants so that the plant grows at its best.
- You have to provide balanced fertilizers to the plant when the plant is actively growing in its season.
- When you fertilize the plant, then the plant requires to be pruned with time because the plant grows vigorously.
Tips for propagating sweet potato vines in a hanging basket
As you have grown your sweet potato vines in your baskets, now you are required to take care of them so that they will give the best results. Below are the tips that will help you in doing so:
Tip 1: Provide them with full sun
You have to place your sweet potato vines in a place where they receive full sunlight in a day to grow properly. They can even be grown in partial shade.
Tip 2: Water them consistently
Do not forget to water them after planting them. You have to spray water on the plants regularly so that they grow well. When you see the leaves shrinking, then it is time to water the plant. So, water them constantly for their growth.
Tip 3: Soil nourishment
This plant will grow best in well-drained just like the Hottentot-fig ice plant. It should be composed of organic matter.
But try not to overwater as they will root in the soil and there are chances that your plant will be destroyed. So, always choose the basket or container that has good drainage holes.
Tip 4: Fulfill Fertilizer needs
You have to fertilize your plant frequently, it can be given weekly. You can feed them with a well-balanced fertilizer.
Common Problems With Sweet Potato Vines
As you know this plant is being affected by fungal infections and various pests that tend to come to the plant to ruin its foliage.
So you have to maintain the growth of the plant that will be discussed below but before that, you need to know about some of the common problems that will have a great impact on your plant. They are as follows:
It is one of the common problems that are being faced with this plant it happens because of less supply of water to the plant. You will see that the leaves will begin to cure if you do not water the plant on time.
You have to make use of Neem oil or soap water solution so that you can easily restore the leaves of your plant.
Leaves Turning Black
The leaves will turn black because the plant is being infected by the fungus. So it is your responsibility to maintain the growth of your plant. if the weather is not suitable for the plant, then there will be root rot caused in the plant.
It will also happen because of the access the supply of through the plant so you have to make use of fungicides to save your plant.
Where to Plant Sweet Potato Vines?
Sweet potato vines are one of the plants that will grow well in a humid climate. But the climatic conditions should not be excessively hot.
It does not depend on the area you are living in, if the climatic conditions are cool or warm, then you have to provide about six hours of sunlight to your plant every day.
Keep in mind that the plant is receiving a good amount of rich and well-drained to show you healthy results.
Binding up the context
In this article, you come to know about Sweet potato vines that are similar to sweet potatoes and are delicious vegetables. It has a sweet taste within. This food crop originated in South America and is grown by almost every farmer all over the world. I hope you will gain knowledge from this guide.
Thanks for reading! Happy Gardening!
1. Can sweet potato vines grow in pots?
Yes, you can thrive your sweet potato vine in pots as they will suit you best there and give you the desired results.
2. Do sweet potato vines need sun or shade?
Sweet potato vines can be grown in the full sun and even in the shade. They brighten the garden with their good vegetation.
3. How long does it take to grow a sweet potato vine from a sweet potato?
Yes, you can grow them and it will take about 4 weeks.