8+ Best Fertilizers for Turnips and Turnip Greens
What are some of the best Fertilizers for Turnips and Turnip Greens? Plants need enough nutrients to grow healthy. Soil is the main hub for storing all the necessary nutrients and minerals for plants. If you are thinking of growing plants you must be concerned about the proper place to grow them. All soils are not healthy enough to supply all the nutrients to the plant.
- Fertilizers are artificial chemicals that are used to increase the fertility of the soil.
- These are added to the soil to increase the productivity of the plants and crops. They require enough minerals to grow.
- There are so many fertilizers available in the market but you should choose according to the needs of your plant like Citrus Tree Fertilizers, Fertilizers for a heavy Okra Harvest, Fertilizers for Lettuce, Cucumber fertilizers, Fertilizer Spreaders, Egg Shell Fertilizers etc.
- Turnip is one of the famous vegetables that are grown by many people.
If you are looking for the best fertilizers for your turnip and turnip greens then this article is for you. We will also discuss some tips to use fertilizers so that your plant won’t get affected. So, let’s get started.
8+ Best Fertilizers for Turnips and Turnip Greens
Turnips are one of the root vegetables that grow the quickest and provide tasty roots as well as green leaves. You must use the best and good quality fertilizers to enhance the growth of turnips. We have listed 8+ fertilizers that are best and highly recommended to use for boosting the health of turnips and turnip greens.
Let us first discuss fertilizers you should use for the better growth of turnips. You need to take care of the nitrogen percentage in your fertilizers. There should be lower nitrogen content in your fertilizers if you want to use them for turnips(roots).
1. Ludicrous Nutrients Big Ass Carrots Premium Carrot and Root Vegetable Fertilizer
This is an excellent organic fertilizer for turnips that make the roots healthier. Apply 1-2 scoops (tablespoons) per square foot to raised garden beds like Galvanized Steel or containers and mix them into the soil a couple of days before planting.
The manufacturer advises 0.5 to 1 kilogram (1.1 to 2.2 lbs) of fertilizer for every 5 sq. meters for planting in a bigger area in the ground.
- NPK Organic 1-9-3.
- All root vegetables are suitable.
- Incredibly low nitrogen ratio to favor larger turnip roots.
2. Lilly Miller Morcrop Tomato & Vegetable Food
These are widely used by gardeners due to their multi-purpose benefits. These are suggested for various root plants like turnips as they contain less amount of nitrogen and phosphorus.
You need to add 2.75 cups of fertilizer to the soil before planting the turnip. Following planting, you may add an extra 2/3 cup of fertilizer per 25-foot row of turnips every 6 weeks. You need to mix fertilizers only to the top layer of the soil.
- Granular 5-10-10 NPK.
- Hybrid organic, all-natural components.
- Agriculture extension’s suggested NPK ratio for turnip farming.
For more such plant related-articles, you may also read, Best Cucumber fertilizers for good Harvest (How often to use them?)
3. Burpee Organic Tomato and Vegetable Granular Plant Food
Always remember to supply water while using this fertilizer. Before planting, add 1/2 cup of fertilizer to the top 4-6 inches of soil for every 10 square feet of in-ground turnips.
Mix 1-1/2 cups of soil or potting mix per cubic foot of soil or raised bed soil.
- 3-6-4 NPK
- Organic, Continuous Release
- Contains Beneficial Microbes
4. HollandBasics 2-8-4 Power Bloom Fertilizer
This fertilizer is very easy to use. This is already present in the powdered state so you don’t need to struggle for mixing it with soil.
Apply 4.4 pounds of fertilizer per 108 square feet of your garden bed before planting, and incorporate it into the top few inches of soil. For turnips in containers: For every gallon of potting soil, mix 3 teaspoons.
- Organic, long-lasting, and easy to use.
- 2-8-4 NPK.
- High Phosphorus and Low Nitrogen.
5. Jobe’s Organics Vegetable & Tomato Plant Food
Jobes is the most popular and trusted brand among gardeners. Apply 1-1/2 (1.5) cups of fertilizer per 10 square feet of growing area (or each 10-foot row of turnips) before planting, incorporating it into the top few inches of soil, and then thoroughly water the area. Every 4-6 weeks, you may apply fertilizer again.
- 2-5-3 NPK.
- Organic, Continuous Release.
- Contains Beneficial Microbes.
6. Dr. Earth Organic Tomato, Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer
It is a fully organic fertilizer that also contains essential bacterias that creates a healthy ecosystem in your garden which distinguishes this fertilizer from other commercial fertilizers.
Mix 1 1/2 cups per 10 square feet of soil or 8 cups per 50 feet of the row before planting. Thoroughly incorporate the top 6 to 12 inches of soil, then water.
For turnips that are already established, mix 3/4 cups per 10 square feet of soil or 4 cups per 50 feet of row. Immediately after each application, rinse well.
- Improving soil quality.
- High potassium and phosphorus content that is ideal for a variety of blooming and fruiting crops.
- 4-6-3 NPK.
Now, let’s have a look at fertilizers that would be best for turnip greens. The fact you need to remember for selecting them is that nitrogen content must be high. It maximizes the growth of turnips leaves and stems rather than focusing on its roots. These are given below:
7. Miracle-Gro Shake ‘N Feed All Purpose Plant Food
This fertilizer includes natural ingredients but it is not a completely organic product. Even their tomato fertilizer resembles balanced all-purpose plant nourishment more than anything else.
Apply granular fertilizer equally per 10 sq ft of growing space (or each 10-foot turnip row) before planting; mix into the top 1-3 inches of soil, and water thoroughly. Every three months, you can reapply.
- Contains vital micronutrients.
- Sustains for three months.
- When used as instructed, it won’t burn.
- For use in containers and the ground.
8. Urban Farm Fertilizers All-Purpose Vegetable Fertilizer
Urban Farm Fertilizers originally developed organic hydroponic nutrients, but their liquid fertilizers are nutritionally full and as beneficial for plants grown in soil.
Regular strength fertilizer from Urban Farm Fertilizers is diluted at 1:256. Apply as needed or as instructed on the label, every 7 to 14 days.
- NPK Organic, Liquid Feed, 4.5-2.5-6.0.
- Fantastic for both hydroponics and soil.
- Organic fertilizer with high performance for domestic and industrial applications.
9. Neptune’s Harvest Organic Hydrolized Fish & Seaweed Fertilizer
This is a fast-acting fertilizer that boosts the growth of turnip greens rapidly. This fertilizer is more balanced than pure fish fertilizers since seaweed is also mixed in.
Apply once every 7 to 14 days, and be sure to mix thoroughly before each use. Apply a solution of 1 oz (1/8 cup) per gallon of water until the soil is completely moist. When the temperature rises over 80°F (27°C), avoid foliar feeding.
- Organic, liquid feed, fast-acting.
- 2-3-1 NPK.
- A better balance for turnip roots and greens.
Tips to use Fertilizer for turnips
- 100 square feet of soil should have 2 to 4 inches of decomposed organic matter applied.
- Apply 2 to 4 cups of all-purpose fertilizer per 100 square feet, such as 10-20-10, 10-10-10, or 16-16-8.
- Shovel the organic debris and fertilizer into the top 6 inches of soil, then plant your turnips.
- Turnips should be fertilized once more six weeks following emergence. For each 10-foot row, use 1/3 cup of nitrogen-based fertilizer, such as 34-0-0 or 21-0-0. Next to each plant, incorporate the fertilizer into the soil.
In this guide, We have discussed the top best fertilizers above that you can easily buy from any online store like Amazon. The selection of the fertilizer depends upon the part of the plant you want to focus on. Don’t overuse fertilizers, it may affect the health of the plant. Water your plant properly so that they don’t get burned out with excess use of fertilizers. Read the whole article for its proper understanding.
Thanks for reading! Happy gardening!