How to Grow & Care for Begonia Rex ‘Escargot Begonia’ (2023)
Hey folks!! Are you looking for a plant related to the Begonia species? If yes, then Begonia Rex would be a great choice for your garden. It is one of the plants that serves you with its amazing characteristics. It is scientifically known as Escargot Begonia.
Especially when it comes to their thick green vegetation that cherishes you. It has a magical appearance that looks amazing. All you need to grow the plant with your efforts and the process will be explained in this guide.
So, let’s get started to learn about the process of growing and caring for Begonia Rex ‘Escargot Begonia’.
|Rex Begonia, King Begonia, Painted-leaf Begonia, Beefsteak
|Moderate to bright indirect light
|Well-drained, light, sandy, porous
|Water weekly allowing the top inch of soil to dry out between waterings
|Any time during spring or early summer when the begonia is in its active growth cycle
|0.3 m to 0.5 m
|Flowers not showy, summer to frost
What Are Rex Begonias?
Begonia Rex is one of the plants that tend to grow from the rhizomes which will grow underground in horizontal series all over the surface of the soil.
You know it is even called by some people painted leaf begonias, but why so? It is because of its leaves that have unique patterns and look attractive.
Some of its leaves are heart-shaped whereas some have jagged edges that have pink colored designs on them.
How to grow Begonia Rex ‘Escargot Begonia’?
As you know I suggest propagating the plant with the help of stem cuttings but not in the case of Begonia Rex ‘Escargot Begonia’ as this plant tends to grow with the help of Rhizomes.
Yes, you heard it right. All you have to do is to:
- It becomes easier to multiply the plant with the help of the division of the parent plant.
- So, it would be a gerat method to use for propogating your Begonia Rex ‘Escargot Begonia’.
- When you Repot the plant, then you can easily divide the rhizomes into 2-3 which depends on its density.
- After that, you can put every divided part in its original place so that you can enjoy its benefits.
How to care for Begonia Rex ‘Escargot Begonia’?
Hey folks, are you worrying if your plant will grow healthier or not? We are here for you guys. Caring for Begonia Rex is as easy as walking in the garden.
So, make sure to nourish your plants with all your care and efforts. So, let’s know about some of the caring tips of Begonia Rex:
- Humidity and temperature
- Potting and Repotting
Let’s throw some light on all the caring tips in detail:
- Begonia Rex tends to thrive well in a place where it can receive a good amount of sunlight for its growth.
- When you place your plant under sunlight for about 4-6 hours a day you have to provide it with some shade too for about 4-6 hours in a day.
- When you grow the plant indoors, you have to place it in a place where it can receive bright but indirect sunlight.
- This variety of begonia has the potential to bear less sunlight in comparison with its other varieties.
- Begonia rex watering system is not a simple task, it requires your efforts and attention.
- Being one of the most beautiful plants, everyone loves it, so have water it so that it keeps the soil moist.
- Also, make sure neither the plant is overwatered nor underwatered as there are chances of root rot in the plant.
- When the top 2-3 inches of the soil is dry, then you have to water your plant safely so that there is no overwatering in the plant.
- Check it out by inserting your finger about an inch in the soil to check its moisture.
Humidity and Temperature needs
- Begonia Rex is one of the plants that tend to grow in warm areas where they receive hot temperatures of about 65-75°F (18-24°C).
- If the temperature goes less than 60 degrees Fahrenheit then it is not good for the plant, so you have to maintain the temperature for the plant so that it grows well.
- They like to grow in a humidity level of 50% or more which helps the plant to grow at its best.
- Also, you can make use of a small humidifier to increase the humidity in the plant or you can place them near the kitchen or the bathroom which helps the plant to receive humidity.
- Begonia Rex likes to grow in the potting mix that is made with peat moss because of its acidic nature.
- The ideal pH level for the plant is between 5.7-6.2 which is slightly acidic.
- To prevent root rot in the plant, you have to ensure that the soil is properly drained.
- Make use of perlite, vermiculite, peat moss or sphagnum moss, etc. in the potting mix so that it provides extra nutrients to the growth of the plant.
- Last but not least, you can make use of a pebble tray under the plant’s pot so that the plant gets good drainage as it will not let the water sit in the pot.
- Fertilizer is needed by every plant so that the plant grows vigorously. It is up to you if you want to apply fertilizers to the plants either every week or after every two weeks.
- Make sure to dilute the mixture to the half-recommended strength so that it does not cause overfertilization in the plant.
- As the plant faces a dormant period at the time of winter, you have to stop feeding them fertilizer at that time.
Potting and repotting needs
- Every plant needs to be repotted so that it feels comfortable in the new pot, you can come to know the need for repotting when the plant overgrows and its roots come out from the drainage holes.
- Begonia Rex likes to be repotted every 1-2 years to prevent root rot in the plant.
- As the process of repotting a plant is tricky, so you have to be cautious while doing so.
- Ensure to choose a size bigger than the previous pot as the plant is grown now. Also, choose a fresh potting mix for your plant.
- To prevent the droopy leaves in the plant, you have to place your plant in a shady place.
- Pruning is needed by every plant to gain a healthy shape and avoid the messy look and even the infection of pests and diseases.
- Though its demands are not much in the case of pruning, you have to just cut it off when it grows leggy stems in the plant.
- Make sure you are not trimming more than 1/3rd of the plant growth as it will not look bushier after it. Make use of sterilized and sharp scissors for your plant.
- Last but not least, you have to check if there are dead and affected leaves in the plant, if yes, then prune it off.
Wrapping up the context
In this guide, you come to know about one of the best plants to grow in your home garden. Folks, I am happy that you read the full guide and finally know the process to grow Begonia Rex ‘Escargot Begonia’ in your home garden.
Still, if there remain any queries or doubts, then you can let me know about it or you can read the guide again to understand the process. I hope you are doing great in your gardening field. So, see you in the next guide till then safe gardening.
Thanks for reading! Happy gardening!